Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

?? Crow Sniping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ?? Crow Sniping

Some very good watching !!!! Thanks.

I have a 17 HMR and will try it out on crows. Its downrange distance is not bad and it is deadly.

I have also seen crows harass hawks before and capitalized on it but I,m Not a good enough hawk
caller so I use the owl .

IT is fun.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagelover View Post
Soon as I get more 22-250 or 223 loaded..How many rounds do you think I will need? I figure the 308 is a bit over kill for crow's...
Ha! Bring all ya can carry! I have shot crows and beavers with my .300wsm...just to see what would happen...its really no secret as to what happens...
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

I love my 22lrs but I think I want something to reach out more, considering either a Briwning Tbolt 22 WMR or a 17hmr? Seems like they are similar but the 17 I keep reading fly's flatter. Can the 22 wmr be as accurate? Crow sniping seems like fun, I watched one of JE's videos and I love how the guy tagged those crows. What do you do with them afterwards. Leave um or retrieve them? Eat them? Seems like if you leave them you might be able to bring coyotes ar raccoons and such in for a later hunt.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagelover View Post
Soon as I get more 22-250 or 223 loaded..How many rounds do you think I will need? I figure the 308 is a bit over kill for crow's...
I don't think a 125gr V-max from a .308 would be too bad. Post pics if you got them.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
I don't think a 125gr V-max from a .308 would be too bad. Post pics if you got them.
The 110 grain V Max would make a satisfying poof as well
Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 PM

Back to the OP's question.
I use a half dozen decoys, and I also use bread that has been soaked in RED jello, makes no difference what flavor. What you are doing is making it look like meat. Make sure you break the bread a bit. When they try eating the bread they will not be spooked because they will like the flavor. Camo is a biggy. Crows have good eye sight and they are also intelligent.
Do not shoot the scout!!! Shoot the scout and no more birds coming in.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

I have a gillie suit I wear..I even managed to get up close to a woodchuck without him knowing.But It took a long time..In the summer this method is dangerous,as you can crawl over a bees nest and it aint no fun..Plus here you have to wear an orange hat..But I doubt you need the hat for crow huntin..