Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

choke for buckshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

choke for buckshot

Can i shoot buckshot throught a Turkey Extra Full Primos TightWad Choke .690 Constriction inches
or what choke can i shoot buckshot throught

i will be shooting #4 and 00 buckshot

thanks
nate
Old 04-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: choke for buckshot

Not a real good idea with those chokes at all.

You are trying to force large shot down a .730 bore out of a .690 tube, what do you think happens?

Will distort the heck out of the shot and recoil will be awesome.

Try a modified first and then full.

Years ago, working guns over for pass shooting geese we found that more open (modified etc) routinely gave much tighter and more uniform patterns with large shot to include #4 buck.

Also two other things you can do to help patterns. have your gunsmith put a long forcing cone in which again serves to give better patterns by less distortion on the shot and cuts recoil by as much as 25%.

Backbored barrels help do some of the same things.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 04-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Your #4 might perform well wit that choke. I think it might be too tight for 00.

Only way to find out is to pattern the gun.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

Look into Patternmaster choke tubes. They were origionaly developed for buckshot, but evenso you really need to pattern the shtogun at the distance you expect to be shooting - no 2 guns will pattern the same even with the same choke and load. I second the longer forcing cone and a backbored barrel if possible. I have 2 different 12ga. shotguns that have an .800" bore. Yeah, that's not a misprint.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

I know a lot of guys that do it, but a choke in the modified range will usually pattern better. Another option may be to look at pattermaster or the primos dead dog (if you can find one). Usually trying to force large pellets thru a small dia. choke will distort them and thro the pattern to sh**. For 0 thru 000 buck check out the options. Try your choke by all means, but don't be surprised if the pattern is wide open.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Not a real good idea with those chokes at all.

You are trying to force large shot down a .730 bore out of a .690 tube, what do you think happens?

Will distort the heck out of the shot and recoil will be awesome.

Try a modified first and then full.

Years ago, working guns over for pass shooting geese we found that more open (modified etc) routinely gave much tighter and more uniform patterns with large shot to include #4 buck.

Also two other things you can do to help patterns. have your gunsmith put a long forcing cone in which again serves to give better patterns by less distortion on the shot and cuts recoil by as much as 25%.

Backbored barrels help do some of the same things.

BH
As BH said

less is better in this case .

Put a 4' x 4' peice of cardbord up at 60yrds and patern each choke starting with the cylinder
choke .

Some of the newer shotguns are over bored and have no forceing cone for better patterns
and a cyl or a mod choke works best with these on larger shot.

Also try different buckshot sizes to find out what your shotgun likes the best.

Good luck
J E CUSTOM
Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Bronze Member

well heres my first post on longrangehunting, lol , i live on whidbey island and shotguns are all you can hunt with here i use # 4 for coyote hunting . in my sbe2 i tried ic . mod. imp. mod. full and superfull . and my pattern @ 60 yds. got progresivly better. i dont know on the 00 because ive never found any use for it , luck , adam