Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Can anyone HELP?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Bronze Member
Re: Can anyone HELP?!?

I have sporter weight 22-250 Rem and 220 Swift which now are only used for limited shooting coyote hunting. The barrels of the two rifles heated up fast when shooting prairie dogs. I live in prairie dog country and have two varmint heavy barrel 223 Rem rifles but since getting a .204 Ruger target varmint rifle I dont use them very much. If I were to do a lot of hunting on foot I would get a sporter weight 204 rifle. I like the lower recoil of the 204 when there is a lot of shooting at prairie dogs.

Unread 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Bronze Member

You don't need a bull barrel. I would get a standard barrel and use mild loads. Most of your standard loads are WAY overkill on PD's. Use a light load and let em rip on the shots over 2-300 yards. Use the 22 for anything closer to give your barrel time to cool.
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Most of my doggin guns have a varmint to bull barrel on them but the one that gets the most use these days is a very lite barreled CZ 527 American in 223.
The key to its popuarity is that it does not walk all that bad for a sporter barrel when it heats up and it cools a lot faster than a varmint contoured barrel!!
Had a 22-250 Winchester featherlite many years ago that I thought would make a good preditor/calling gun=WRONG The gun only liked a few loads and all of them where at 223 velocities.
I might buy a good friend a 22-250 sporter for doggin (Fun if your the spotter) but unless you video the action you aint gonna see much of it pullin the trigger!
A 22lr is great if the dogs have not seen much shooting but on most dogtowns they will see very limited use IMHO
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein (1879-1955)