Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Bullets for Long Range Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Bullets for Long Range Dogs

I don't know the BC of the Calhoon made bullets. The Blue Dot load is limited to about 200 yards, i shot a few at about 400 with a full power(about 4000 fps) load but that is a very long shot for me with a little Cooper 21 Classic sporter over the hood of a pickup. I think the 19-223 Calhoon is similar to a 204 Ruger for max range. My friend left me his TAC 20 in a Cooper mtv to work up some loads, It should be a bit better long ranger. I personally just like shooting them and not trying to break any distance records and don't ever take a bench to shoot from, just more of a drive by prarie dog hunt. I was recently in the Bend OR area on a Sage Rat hunt and one guy was shooting them with a full on 6BR, what ever trips your trigger. We shot a couple thousand rounds of mostly 17 hmr in 2 days and had a blast. Sorry to bring your thread off topic, just relaying my findings. I have a 25-06 and 220 Swift but find myself reaching for the smaller guns time after time when going to kill a pdog.

Have a good trip and report back, i think there are a few more dogs in the west this year and i just saw my first batch of Pups on Friday.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Johnson View Post
I don't know the BC of the Calhoon made bullets. The Blue Dot load is limited to about 200 yards, i shot a few at about 400 with a full power(about 4000 fps) load but that is a very long shot for me with a little Cooper 21 Classic sporter over the hood of a pickup. I think the 19-223 Calhoon is similar to a 204 Ruger for max range. My friend left me his TAC 20 in a Cooper mtv to work up some loads, It should be a bit better long ranger. I personally just like shooting them and not trying to break any distance records and don't ever take a bench to shoot from, just more of a drive by prarie dog hunt. I was recently in the Bend OR area on a Sage Rat hunt and one guy was shooting them with a full on 6BR, what ever trips your trigger. We shot a couple thousand rounds of mostly 17 hmr in 2 days and had a blast. Sorry to bring your thread off topic, just relaying my findings. I have a 25-06 and 220 Swift but find myself reaching for the smaller guns time after time when going to kill a pdog.

Have a good trip and report back, i think there are a few more dogs in the west this year and i just saw my first batch of Pups on Friday.
Gale,
It is great to hear from the other end of the scale. The Sage Rats sound like a whole lotta fun. Not something we have an opportunity for on the East Coast. I find myself collecting more 22rf rifles. I just got a LH CZ and a custom Sako P94 but with this trip coming I have had little time to play with them.

Thanks for the good report on the pdogs. Really looking forward to our trip.

Paul
Old 05-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Bronze Member

I will be heading up to Pierre, SD in the next few weeks to go fishing, i will see how many pdogs are out and about and ask some of the shooters at the hotel how they did.

The Sage Rats are a absolute blast, i had a lot of fun shooting them with the HMR, perfect rat gun. Now i just need to get a nicer 17 with better optics, I took a Marlin with a Simmons scope and wasn't planning on using it but it was too much fun to quit once i tried it out. My friend that went shot over 20 boxes of HMR. He had a nicer gun, a Ruger HMR Bolt Gun that had some work done, it will shoot .25 groups, the Ruger Rotary Clip loads faster also.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've been fortunate enough to shoot dogs in about every state that has them with everything from the 17HMR to the 50BMG.
If you get lucky and find a lot of dogs that aint been shot a lot the 223 and an accurate 22lr will be your friend=good luck with that one these days! The 22-250 will make some memorable shoots too but it heats up fast.
If however you run into spookie dogs the 223 will be reaching hard and the 22lr worthless. The 22-250 with 53Vnaxes will reach out to 500 with effective results but the wind and mirage are going to be key players.
The 6br with 87 grain Vmax makes a great long range round but good luck finding any. The 100+ grainers work alright too but it takes a lot of elevation in the scope to get there, so will the 308 for that matter. Getting an exact range and a good spotter are going to be key elements of success.
If the 300 is going to be a 338 then why shoot the barrel out with spendy supplies?
We where out on Saturday with the 223s, a 300blackout, 308 and the 338 Edge.......long story short the 223s both got dogs farther than the bigger rounds=550 and 625 yards.
Good luck with your dogggin.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

A lot of pdogs have succumb to the 6mm Hornady 105 Amax. Just a pleasure to shoot out of a BR. Accurate, low cost and hangs in there for a long ways. Good luck.

1kstr