Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Bullets for Long Range Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Bullets for Long Range Dogs

I am going to SD on first dog hunt in July. I have 223 and 22-250 for short range and am planning on using 308, 6BR and 300RUM for long range. I only have 175SMK for 308 and 105 Berger Match VLD for the BR. Nothing worked out for the RUM yet.

What bullets should I use that will be ok in the wind and efficient killers at long range? Are these match bullets a bad idea at longer ranges?

I really appreciate any feedback.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Bullets for Long Range Dogs

Quite frankly...the 308 & RUM would be two of my last p/dog rifle choices..especially if they are run of the mill field weight rifles..a 9# RUM sending a 175 gr SMK is gonna be no fun for the shooter...or his buddies next to him....the other factor would be the richochet of these heavy non expanding target bullets....heat would be another issue....85* air temp in July...barrel heat from the RUM.....leave it home...stick with the 223..22-250 & 6BR....load them up with good varmint bullets...IE...Hornady V max...Nosler BTs...or Sierra BK's...the Berger VLD 6mm will work OK...but they will punch a hole in & out....expect crawl offs...the above mentioned varmint bullets will provide more arials & red mist...my favorite 223 AI bullet is the 53 gr V max...high BC.. .291 I believe..my 12 twist 6BR favors 75 V max....70 NBT....all the bullet you need...my dog guns are table guns....running 17-18#....I let the bullet do the walking for me...what you should consider...20 caliber is where its at for p/doggin'.........4000 fps 40 gr V max............
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 AM

Thanks, the 223 is a heavy AR and the 22-250 is a HV Hall match rifle. These will be doing the bulk of the shooting at sub 500 yards.

The RUM is a 700 Sendero donor rifle for a 338 Edge project I am starting so if the barrel does not survive the trip that is fine. I was planning on bringing 50-75 rounds for this one. I was leaning toward 200 grain bullets or the highest BC that will kill efficiently at 1000+.

The 308 is a heavy varmint Krieger that I was hoping could fill the gap to 1000 yards. The 6mm is another HV that is easy to shoot. Your comment on crawlers with the Berger Match and SMKs is one of my concerns.

From what I am seeing in external ballistic apps is that beyond 500 yards high BC is the best choice but do not see any frangible bullets in the over .500 class. The other obvious challenge is component availability. It is difficult to find any 6mm bullets right now. 30 cals are easier to find but no one really makes a "varmint" bullet in this BC class.

Are the guys that are hitting beyond 1000 yards accepting the chance of crawlers and using match bullets anyway? Does the extra weight of the high BC bullets make up for the lack of frangibility?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Gold Member

You won't get many crawlers with a 30 caliber bullet. I've shot them with the 185 grain Berger from a 300 WSM and they didn't crawl off; they also didn't pop quite like a varmint bullet but I wasn't interested in that effect when I shot the 300.

I would get some 210, 215, or 230 Bergers and have a blast throwing some lead at sod poodles near the 1k mark.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Bronze Member

I shoot p dogs quite frequently and would have to agree that the 53 gr Vmax is a super fine bullet, splat factor can't be beat, lots of launching and parts flying. I shot one today with a 32 gr calhoon Saber Tip in 19-223, lots of terminal performance, saw parts going in several directions in the scope. Best thing was it was a "gopher" load, 13.5 gr Blue Dot. My point is more isn't always better, take what you got and have fun, but the use enough gun theory doesn't apply to pasture poodles.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
You won't get many crawlers with a 30 caliber bullet. I've shot them with the 185 grain Berger from a 300 WSM and they didn't crawl off; they also didn't pop quite like a varmint bullet but I wasn't interested in that effect when I shot the 300.

I would get some 210, 215, or 230 Bergers and have a blast throwing some lead at sod poodles near the 1k mark.

Thanks Brownignlover1. That is the feedback I was looking for. Now to find and test some bullets.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Johnson View Post
I shoot p dogs quite frequently and would have to agree that the 53 gr Vmax is a super fine bullet, splat factor can't be beat, lots of launching and parts flying. I shot one today with a 32 gr calhoon Saber Tip in 19-223, lots of terminal performance, saw parts going in several directions in the scope. Best thing was it was a "gopher" load, 13.5 gr Blue Dot. My point is more isn't always better, take what you got and have fun, but the use enough gun theory doesn't apply to pasture poodles.

Gale,
What is a long shot for the 19cal? What BC is that 32gr bullet?