I have been told Wyoming is an awesome place to shoot PDogs. So, I have planned a Pdog trip for my friend and I for June 2008 at the Trophy Ridge Outfitters Ranch located in Carlile, Wyoming.
I have heard, and been told, it is a great place to shoot Pdogs and the area is absolutely beautiful. The ranch is also 15 minutes away from the Devils' Tower National Monument. If you have ever seen the Movie "Close and Counters of A Third Kind" you know what I am talking about.
I have been informed there are many Pdogs to shoot at, and we would need to bring more than one rifle if possible. I was also told shots are possible out to 2000+ yards if you have the proper set up.
So, we are bringing five rifles. Here is the list of rifles we are bringing;
1. 223 AR-15 Varmint set up
2. 22-250 Remington 700 VLS
3. 308 Win Remington 700 Police
4. 300 Varminter Custom Rifle
5. 30-338 Lupa Improved Custom Rifle
for the shots past 800 yards.
Optics that will be used;
1. Leupold-4.5x15x50mm LRT-(223)
2. Leupold-6.5x20x50mm LRT-(22-250)
3. Leupold-6.5X20X50 LRT-(308 Win)
4. Nightforce NXS-8x32x56mm MLR reticle-(300 Varminter)
5. Nightforce NXS-12x42x56mm MLR reticle-(30-338 Lupa Improved)
6. Swaro Range Finder-still need to buy (oooch!)
7. Swaro Bi-nocs-still need to buy (oooch!)
We will be using the following bullets;
1. 223-40grn V-Max for shots from 50 to 300 yards.
2. 22-250-50grn V-Max for shots from 50 to 400 yards
3. 308 Win-110grn V-Max for shots from 50 to 500 yards
4. 300 Varminter-125grn Ballistic Tip for shots from 50 to 800 yards
5. 30-338 Lupa Imp-208grn A-Max for shots past 800 yards
Amount of Ammo bringing for each rifle;
1. 1000 rounds for 223
2. 500 rounds for 22-250
3. 500 rounds for 308
4. 500 rounds for 300 WSM
5. 150 rounds for 30-338 Lupa Improved
That should be enough ammo, I hope?
It should be a fun trip. We are going for four days, so we should get plenty of chances to get into the 1500 yard club. I can't wait! I will post a review of the trip when I get back
***Side note: For those who are wondering, The 300 Varminter is based off the 300 WSM Cartridge and designed to shoot the 125grn BT at 4000fps out of a Bartlien 30" 1-15 twist barrel very accurately.