Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Badger with .222 Rem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Badger with .222 Rem

Nice badger ! Man do they tear up some ground.

Do you ever try barking at the running coyotes ?
I have never had one not stop- some only stop for a couple of seconds but they will stop.Also i've found that they sense your body language -if you slam the truck to a stop jump out staring and squaring your body towards them they will be far more spooked and inclined to run.
I roll to a stop -ease out> fast movements mean aggression -keep my head down and give them a woop-woop if they don't stop just start barking all the way up to bark yelling.If you see them bouncing to a gallop start repeatedly doing quick constant barks -they'll stop.
While you're lining up the shot do a couple of barks to keep them still.
A friend has an adl 222 just like yours -nice little factory rifle for sure.--------Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmm, interesting.. I'll do that for ya the next one or couple I get. This one would have been a good one actually because he wasn't shot up at all. That 55g NBT didn't do to much damage really, enough to kill him, but didn't blow a hole in him at least. Which is nice for taxidermy type stuff, but I like to see holes!!

So the next one I shoot, I'll put in a couple garbage sacks and freeze him, then next day ship them to you I guess. I dont have any use for them, farmers dont like em though..

How about you PM me with what you think sounds fair?? We can exchange address/zip code as well.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Mike-

Heck ya, those badgers got every hillside covered with huge holes. You know there isn't 1 badger for every hole, they must dig 20 for themselves or something..We dont see that many of them really. LIke I said, I"ve shot about 13 or 14, but thats been over about 6-7 year period. My dads only shot like 3 of them. I've talked to people around here that haven't even seen one.

Ha ha, funny you mention the barking thing. My dad read or heard that somewhere and he was the first to try it out. It has worked for us a couple times. We'll bark and hoot and holler and howl, its pretty comical at times, ha ha. Its kinda hard to hold steady when your barking and howling though, he he. It'll work on the younter dumb ones more then the older and wiser ones. But there have been times when we've stopped them and got a lot better shot oppurtunity then them running mach 10..We might have to try the slow caution approach. Everytime we see a coyote, its like slam on the brakes, by that time, the coyotes already hauling hay the other way, ha ha...I have actually heard that you can drive past them, drop somebody off, and have them walk back. I've done that a few times with success as well..I just dont think they like it when you slam on the brakes, and start moving all fast, and shut the truck off. Its just that you gotta try and hurry becasue they dont stand there forever, know what I mean, ha ha..I"ll give some thought to your tactics next time out though, see how that pans out..
Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

That's some good advice on road hunting coyotes, that's pretty much the only way I hunt them. Even though I have an electronic caller. I will definetly try those tips out.
Remmy I would use my 87 grain tnts out there at 1000 but they loose group somewhere around 800 yards. I started experementing with the Berger 115 Vld's, I ran out before I shot a decent group so its time to try another box. So far the 100 grain Sierra matcking is the catsmeow, it shoots .25"-.375" at 100 yards, I know it dosn't have the greatest B.C. at .427 but it works. I think I have 4 boxes left, hehe.
Those matches are so informal nobody cares what you shoot, they dont even hold you to any rules like a registered NRA match or anything. Maybe thats why there so darn fun. Infact most of the guys shoot 22 caliber. The small group record was broke 4 and 3/16 with a 22-6mm ackley with an 80 grain Matchking.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Oh yeah, there's an upcoming varmint match too! Its a fun challange cause its usually windy. You shoot at steel varmints such as coyotes,rockchucks,bunnies and squirrels. Set out at 226,331,430 and 554 yards. You need to bring 20 rounds and if you want to go twice bring 40. Its at 2pm, Saturday June 30th just go like your going to the Oregon Trail Interpretive center and go a mile or so past it and theres the club. They don't go splat but its still fun.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Oregon Rocks For Varmints
243 70 gr. blitzking