Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Badger with .222 Rem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Badger with .222 Rem

Shot this badger at about 25 yards on the run with my Rem 700 ADL in .222 Rem. I was using 55g NBT's at 3150fps..Dropped him DRT..He was a young male..You should have seen him when we first stopped the truck and I jumped out, he stopped out in the wheat field and stood up with his hair up on his back and acted like he was ready to kick some *****..

We finally saw a coyote. I havent seen one in the last couple outings.. It was about 200 yards away sitting in a wheat field. By the time my dad stopped the truck, he was already running. I jumped out and rested over the hood, got really close my first shot (just behind him), ended up shooting a couple more at him but never got him...

Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Badger with .222 Rem

What do you do with the animal? Do you skin it? If so would you like to get rid of the pelt?

Joe Oakes
Old 06-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Nice job dude! Those badgers got a temper don't they. Now I don't feel so bad about missing my last two coyotes though, knowing even a good shot can miss sometimes.
I got to shoot at a thousand yard benchrest match on Saturday at Baker that was great fun. It was windy and I destroyed a nice 8" group with I think my last shot opening it up to 14 1/4 ", scored 43 out of 50. With my 25-06AI You oughtta try one out sometime, I think it could be addicting.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

I didn't do anythign with this one because it wasn't very big. You can skin them out, however badgers got to be one of the worst smelling critters I"ve ever been around..You interested in buying the hides at a later time in the future?? I might skin a few out for ya if there decent sized and not shot to hell...

Flybuster-

Yah those badgers got a temper for sure. You did great at 1K in those conditions, IMO. It was a windy SOB this last weekend... What bullet were you using?? Please dont say you were using those 87g TNT's??? I need to get to a shoot, but I think I need a little more practice first..Most the guys have semi customs which 9 of 10 times will outshoot my factory sporters with ease...
Old 06-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

What would you charge me to skin one out? I don't really mind how big they are but if they are bigger that is always better.

Joe Oakes
Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Well you know, I'm not a taxidermist, so I have no idea what the going rate for a badger hide is...Would you want the head and claws, like a tubing or what??

I have seen them a few of them for sale in some taxidermist shop that had the head and claws, basically tubed I believe, but I cant remember for the life of me how much they wanted. If I remember right, they fetched a pretty penny..They do look pretty kick ***** though..

My dad wants a pelt of one two, but we still have yet to skin one out actually, I've shot like 13 or 14 of them now, a few really big males to, but they got nasty holes from the 25-06..

I wouldn't even know how to go about sending a tubed badger in the mail??? Any ideas??
Old 06-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

If you freeze it in the deep freeze I would imagine that that would work. Then you could send it to me Next Day Ups and it shouldn't cost much. I am in NW Washington, or my mom is in Olympia/Yelm area so the shipping shouldn't be much. I would take the whole thing that you killed next if that works for you. I have heard that freezeing animals before skinning helps because the skin is the first thing to thaw and the rest of the body stays nice and hard.

Let me know what sounds fair to you and I will send you some money on the next one.

What is your zip for an estimate on the UPS?

Joe Oakes