Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Anyone got their hands on a 17WSM yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Anyone got their hands on a 17WSM yet?

I was going to purchase one but when I got to the gun shop the rifle felt flimsy and poorly made. The barrel looks like a pencil, the for end can be squeezed, the bolt is long and awkward, and the rotary magazine takes a huge chunk out of the center of the rifle. I was spoiled by my savage model 93GV in 17 HMR. That rifle was 250 and 100x better than the savage 17 wsm which was around the 350 ball park.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

I want one really bad but I refuse to buy a Savage. Hopefully another company will jump on board
Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
I want one really bad but I refuse to buy a Savage. Hopefully another company will jump on board
You don't have to buy the Savage. Winchester is chambering the 17 WSM in it's 1885 Low Wall. It's better made than the Savage but it cost a little more. $1469.99
Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
https://www.volquartsen.com/page/17wsm
I will be getting one when they come out. Volquartsen puts out some awesome rimfire rifles, and I am sure this one will be no different. For a walking / truck gun, the Savage is awesome. It may feel cheap and flimsy, but my buddy and I consistently shoot 3/8" groups. I don't care how flimsy and cheap it feels, it is super light and shoots great.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I don't have issues with the fit/finish issues at Savage as long as they shoot. I've heard in a number of places there are issues with the bolt marring the stock if rotated prematurely. THAT is a problem to me.

I had not heard CZ had announced threw were going to do a 17WSM, but that sounds interesting.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Gold Member

The round sounds interesting, but I can't force myself to buy a Savage.
With all the trouble getting any rimfire ammo now, I'll be watching... and waiting.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:03 PM

I've had mine about 2 months. I've shot a few hundred rounds and killed numerous varmints with it. It's a fun little gun and is accurate with the 20 grain V-MAX loads (I have not shot the 25 grain yet).

Here's a picture from last week's prairie dog hunting trip (a buddy of mine painted the gunstock). One shot at 197 yards (I put him in the tree for the beauty shot).

It does quite a number on smaller varmints. Damage is in the same class of the 5mm rimfire, but much flatter shooting.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Anyone got their hands on a 17WSM yet?-savage-bmag-camo-4.jpg