Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

.308 V-MAX vs. TNT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

.308 V-MAX vs. TNT?

Has anyone used the .308" 110gr Hornady V-MAX and/or the 125gr Speer TNT? I'm looking for a light bullet to push out of my .308 Win for varmints. Besides the velocity, I'm looking for accuracy also. Is one inherently more accurate than another? I've worked with both V-MAXes and TNTs before, and am impressed by both, just not sure what to go with for the 308.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .308 V-MAX vs. TNT?

I have shot the V-Max 110's. It was over 47.5grns RL-15 w/ CCI 200 primer. I was cutting a .233" group at 100yrds. It was out of a 1:10 factory Savage Mod. 12 Low Pro. I gutted a Fox squirrel at 202yrds. Longest shot for me at something that small at that range. I have yet to reload a Speer bullet. Not sure how well they work.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunthard View Post
Has anyone used the .308" 110gr Hornady V-MAX and/or the 125gr Speer TNT? I'm looking for a light bullet to push out of my .308 Win for varmints. Besides the velocity, I'm looking for accuracy also. Is one inherently more accurate than another? I've worked with both V-MAXes and TNTs before, and am impressed by both, just not sure what to go with for the 308.

Thanks.

I have shot several thousand of the 110 V-max at pds. This was my bullet of choice for my 300 WM dedicated pd gun. My barrel is a 1-12 and I was loading them to 3600, as above that I was getting an occasional blow up. Out of a 308 you likely won't have a problem. Very accurate.

I have shot some TNTs, however, they have a 3100 fps "speed limit". I was able to get them above 3100 but not to where I could get the V-max, so I quite trying. Also accurate.

The best I have found is the Nosler 125 BT. I am able to get them above 3600 and the accuracy is better than either the V-max or TNT. They will open up on pds out to about 600 yds. After that you will get pencils on the small ones.

Regardless of what you choose, I think you will find a load that will shoot very well, and the effects will be what you are after.

Jim
Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

There is a guy that built a 300WSM with a 1:14 twist running the 125 Nosler to 4100fps. You should see the Groundhogs explode when hit. His article is on 6mmbr.com.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
There is a guy that built a 300WSM with a 1:14 twist running the 125 Nosler to 4100fps. You should see the Groundhogs explode when hit. His article is on 6mmbr.com.
Yup, I think most of us know about it. Some time ago there was a long and sometimes "painful" discussion on the matter.

I would really like to comment, but will not.

Jim
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Can you enlighten me Jim with a short sinopsis? Ludicris speed, to graphic, inquiring minds want to know? You can PM me if you want to.

Tank

Old 01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

SEARCH 300 VARMINTER.....More info then u will need....take it all with a grain of salt! lol