Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

Which .223?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Re: Which .223?

An old guy in my skeet club offered to sell me his used [only 12 shots fired through it] Tikka T3 varmint 8" twist. It had a big crappy BSA scope,cheap rings, Harris bipod and 788 round of factory ammo. $600 all in. How could I refuse?

First 3 shots were .75" I frustrated myself for awhile trying to move POI with that BSA scope and gave up. I installed an Elite 3200 on Leupold rings that I had and then shot several sub .25" groups with factory Hornady Varmint Extreme 55 gr Vmax. 1.5" at 300 off a bipod same ammo.

What a gun! I can't wait to see what she'll do with handloads.

I have never owned a centerfire under 25 cal and am hooked. Lots of cheap trigger time without punishment.

I'm sure this will not be the last Tikka I own.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esshup View Post
My buddy is in the market for an accurate factory .223 that he will mainly use for P-dogs. He has a wide variety of glass that is available to him, so that's not part of the equasion. His budget for the rifle is right around $1,000, but he might entertain adding another couple of hunderd if the money will be well spent. The only downside that I can see is that he doesn't handload. But, on the other hand, if he sees a big difference in what I can load for his gun and what he buys from the store, he would spend the time at my place rolling his own - that's what he does for his .300 Win Mag.

So with those parameters, what guns should he look at?
I HAVE A22-250 IN ONE OF THE NEW SAVAGE PREDATOR MODEL. HAND LOAD FOR IT AND IT IS VERY ACCURITE. THEY MAKE THIS RIFLE IN A223 WHICH HE IS GOING TO SHOOT P- DOGS ALL DAY LON G YOU ARE GOING TO WANT SOMETHING WITH THE HEAVY BARREL. I HAVE AN AR-15 WITH A SHORT BARREL WHICH HEATS UP PRETTY FAST ITS ACCURITE BUT YOU CANT KEEP FIREING BACK TO BACK. THIS PREDATOR MODEL IS PRETTY ACCURITE WITH RELOADS.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:42 PM

[quote=robertedavis69@yahoo.com;251715]I HAVE A22-250 IN ONE OF THE NEW SAVAGE PREDATOR MODEL. HAND LOAD FOR IT AND IT IS VERY ACCURITE. THEY MAKE THIS RIFLE IN A223 WHICH HE IS GOING TO SHOOT P- DOGS ALL DAY LON G YOU ARE GOING TO WANT SOMETHING WITH THE HEAVY BARREL. I HAVE AN AR-15 WITH A SHORT BARREL WHICH HEATS UP PRETTY FAST ITS ACCURITE BUT YOU CANT KEEP FIREING BACK TO BACK. THIS PREDATOR MODEL IS PRETTY ACCURITE WITH RELOADS THE OTHER MEET THING ABOUT THIS RIFLE IS YOU CAN SET YOUR OWN TRIGGER.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM

[quote=robertedavis69@yahoo.com;251717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertedavis69@yahoo.com View Post
I HAVE A22-250 IN ONE OF THE NEW SAVAGE PREDATOR MODEL. HAND LOAD FOR IT AND IT IS VERY ACCURITE. THEY MAKE THIS RIFLE IN A223 WHICH HE IS GOING TO SHOOT P- DOGS ALL DAY LON G YOU ARE GOING TO WANT SOMETHING WITH THE HEAVY BARREL. I HAVE AN AR-15 WITH A SHORT BARREL WHICH HEATS UP PRETTY FAST ITS ACCURITE BUT YOU CANT KEEP FIREING BACK TO BACK. THIS PREDATOR MODEL IS PRETTY ACCURITE WITH RELOADS THE OTHER MEET THING ABOUT THIS RIFLE IS YOU CAN SET YOUR OWN TRIGGER.
THERE IS ALOT OF DIFFERNT BULLET OPPTIONS FOR 223.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Gold Member

It was mentioned here in an earlier post also but if I was gonna buy another factory gun that WAS NOT gonna get customized later I think it would be a CZ. I hear allot of good things about them....There built on a mini mauser action, and for the price don't think they can be beat. Just my opinion though.

I would love to have a bushmaster or RRA but they are not legal to hunt with here in the great state of PA.....Sarcasm there if ya didn't detect that...lol
Old 01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

He's seriously looking at the Savage now. He likes their dual port design from an ergonomics standpoint, but I don't know if it'll have any affect on the action stiffness.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Gold Member

The action stiffness would only be affected due to the fact it is a cartridge port, not an open bridge design like most other actions.