Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

22-250 remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 PM

22-250 remington

I have a 22-250 Remington model 700 and I shoot berger bullets. I use 38 grains of hodgen 380 when I reload. I shoot less than a minute of angle some days and a little bit more on other days. I try to shoot on calm days when I shoot to see why it is different. I clean the gun very good every time I shoot. Can anyone tell me why the grouping is different?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 PM

22-250 remington

I forgot to say that I shoot a 55 gr berger bullet.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: 22-250 remington

A clean bore will shoot different than one that is slightly dirty. Also, on a rifle that is not free floated the stock can push against the barrel differently leading to inconsistent results. If a different rest is used or the stock sets different this can possibly cause inconsistent results but I haven't experienced this while swapping from bags to a bipod or setting the forearm in different spots in the front bag.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

You are checking the mirage aren't you?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Some days I shoot tighter groups than others too...I chalk it up to operator error!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 PM

Sand Bag vs Bipod

I bought a Harris bipod to put on my gun. I liked it because I did not have to carry a sand bag for the front of my gun. I did not shoot good every time I went shoot. I decided to go back with a sand bag in the front of my gun and shot under a minute of angle. Can not wait to see if I can do it again next time. Hope the bipod was my problem.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sand Bag vs Bipod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger Man View Post
I bought a Harris bipod to put on my gun. I liked it because I did not have to carry a sand bag for the front of my gun. I did not shoot good every time I went shoot. I decided to go back with a sand bag in the front of my gun and shot under a minute of angle. Can not wait to see if I can do it again next time. Hope the bipod was my problem.
The only bipods I have shot off of were Harris which are good ones but I never liked them. I just don't feel comfortable or confident with them. Just not as solid or steady with them as I am with bags. My Dad loves them, but he has practiced a lot with them and I really never did, I may try them out more this summer and see if I get good with them but probably going to stick with a small rear and front sandbag for now so they're portable but I can be as accurate as possible.