Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

22-250 1-9" or 6mm Norma BR 1-8"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: 22-250 1-9" or 6mm Norma BR 1-8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barm View Post
Thank you for the recommendations. I'll go with the 6mm Norma BR 1-8".
You wont regret it. The 22-250 is a great cartridge, but if you want 500+ you're talking about 80 class bullets and at that point I'd go to the 6mm.

22-250 Brass isn't as good, case stretch and less barrel life. The AI version is great but now you have to form.

6br Lapua brass, Lapua brass, Lapua brass, cases last forever, no stretch, no case prep for the most part, load, shoot and smile.

I shot a 22-250 since the early 90's and just switched to a 6br two years ago Since the switch my 500+ kills on g-hogs had doubled. Since i've had it the 65-284 has not been used. The BR filled the gap and more. You will love it.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Rimfire,

Which 6mm bullets have you tried in the 6mm BR? How is the expansion at 500+ yards?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barm View Post
Rimfire,

Which 6mm bullets have you tried in the 6mm BR? How is the expansion at 500+ yards?

I started with the 105 Berger and they shot great and had good expansion. I never got them to fully settle in and It had some two grouping. I played with seating depth for a while. Even though they two grouped the groups were great, with many sub 2" groups at 500.

I gave the 107 SMK's a try and they consistently shot great and I've been using them since. To date the longest G-Hog was 725 yards. The Bergers expanded better but the smk's shoot better in my gun.

It has also been used to take a bunch of deer. I started culling them with head and neck shots so I cant say how well the perform with body shots. So far I've only taken a few body shots and so far it looks good. I took a buck head on in the chest at just over 500 yards and it only went about 30 yards. I'll be using it this summer for crop damage and testing results on body shots.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
I started with the 105 Berger and they shot great and had good expansion. I never got them to fully settle in and It had some two grouping. I played with seating depth for a while. Even though they two grouped the groups were great, with many sub 2" groups at 500.

I gave the 107 SMK's a try and they consistently shot great and I've been using them since. To date the longest G-Hog was 725 yards. The Bergers expanded better but the smk's shoot better in my gun.

It has also been used to take a bunch of deer. I started culling them with head and neck shots so I cant say how well the perform with body shots. So far I've only taken a few body shots and so far it looks good. I took a buck head on in the chest at just over 500 yards and it only went about 30 yards. I'll be using it this summer for crop damage and testing results on body shots.

Just don't wound them please. I hate to see deer run and not be caught. I shot one in the guts one time and we lost that one. The worst shot I have ever made. Lesson on making sure your aiming at the spot on the deer. We chased it for a little bit, but lost the trail. I was using a 243 w/ 100grn core lokt bullets. The only deer I ever lost.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Bronze Member

Rimfire,

Sent you a PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Just don't wound them please. I hate to see deer run and not be caught. I shot one in the guts one time and we lost that one. The worst shot I have ever made. Lesson on making sure your aiming at the spot on the deer. We chased it for a little bit, but lost the trail. I was using a 243 w/ 100grn core lokt bullets. The only deer I ever lost.

Tank
"Just dont wound them please" It's hard to kill em without a good wound. I didn't say I was gut shooting them so I don't understand how this pertains?

Anyway thanks for the advice and try not to gut shoot anymore I hate to see them mortaly wounded only to die later also.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

I know you have to wound to kill, but I think you know what I'm talking about. ;) I'm sure you are a responsible hunter.

Respectfully,
Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!