Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

204 varmint rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Re: 204 varmint rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gube204 View Post
Sorry VG, but I'm not about to get into a pi&&ing match with you. There is a ton of proof out there that Remingtons quality control and their service in dealing with quality control issues are not what they used to be. I've seen it myself, and all you need to do is check the numerous boards on the web and do a search. It's available for all to see.
As for different gun brand names, it's no different then buying a vehicle. Everyone has their preferences. But to say "Savage" shouldn't even be considered, lets just say that there are thousands and thousands of loyal Savage fans that would beg to differ. I shoot numerous brands of guns and enjoy them all, including my remingtons. That's about all I have to say about it.
I'm on my third brick of primers (says something for quality) and my Savage in .204 with a Leupold 8.5 x 25 x40. The gun still shoots better than I do. Go to YOU TUBE : STEVEASKE to see 29 videos of .204 Savage and my Savage in .17 Mach2 in action. Both guns are work horses.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

Buy a Cooper and never look back! I have or have had five different .204 's including AR, Savage, CZ, Cooper, and Ruger .I still have the Cooper and the Savage LRPV, but the Savage is too heavy to carry but works great off the bench or bi-pod.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Exclusivity and high price are often perceived as value and performance. Which of the above brands is bought more by government agencies than all the others mentioned? They make sniper rifles for government agencies and have to win competive tests and competitive bids.

It can be said that one example doesn't set the standard for all others that a company makes, but I am on my 4th one and they have all been among the best shooting rifles I ever got hold of.

Also, the long term viability of companies like Cooper are in question during hard economic times, and we are going into hard times. Cooper costs too much to maintain sales in hard times. A small company doesn't have the economy of scale to produce the same quality of product at a mid level price point a CZ. You pay a lot more to get a little bit extra, and then the improvement is in fit and finish rather than functionality.

The CZ 527 has won more awards in the light rifle division in Europe than any other rifle, something that much more expensive rifles haven't done. The main hindrance to CZ sales in this country is that most dealers that are listed as CZ dealers don't keep them in stock, but just special order them for customers who know their quality and value. Of all the dealers listed as CZ dealers in Billlings, only Shipton's Big R keeps a variety of centerfire CZ rifles on hand.

Doesn't take a journeyman machinist to appreciate that CZ rifles are better made than others at their price point, but if they aren't kept in stock, the customer can't compare side by side. Personally, I think that some shops know that a certain amount of CZ rifles will sell to those who know them, but they either don't want them directly compared to other rifles and lose sales there, or they don't think most of their customers are smart enough to make a valid comparison. In fact, one salesman said that CZ rifles just seem to get sold to more experienced guys who have used them in direct comparison to other brands, as the CZ brand isn't that strongly marketed and a lot of Americans are still ignorant of the brand. Back in the early 90's even some gun dealers I mentioned CZ to were ignorant as a rock regarding the brand. I had been using a CZ75 for some years and thought the display of ignorance rather strange. But some guys who own CZ rifles never heard of a CZ motorcycle even. Amazing...........
Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

The CZs are nice looking rifles. But their selection of cartridges and twists leave a lot to be desired. No WSM or RUM and very few fast twist. Tikka has a lot better selection.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Bronze Member

RE Cooper rifles being too high priced to be viable in this economy, They are working full shifts and you will have at least a 90 day wait to get your rifle. That does't sound like a company in trouble to me. They just broke ground for a new state of the art plant to help speed things up and still maintain their quality. I had the good fortune to tour the plant this summer and meet the people and Hugo, the owner. You would have to go a long way to find a friendlier , more upbeat bunch of people who really enjoy what they do. That is where the high quality comes from. Like I said, buy a Cooper and be happy!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog View Post
RE Cooper rifles being too high priced to be viable in this economy, They are working full shifts and you will have at least a 90 day wait to get your rifle. That does't sound like a company in trouble to me. They just broke ground for a new state of the art plant to help speed things up and still maintain their quality. I had the good fortune to tour the plant this summer and meet the people and Hugo, the owner. You would have to go a long way to find a friendlier , more upbeat bunch of people who really enjoy what they do. That is where the high quality comes from. Like I said, buy a Cooper and be happy!
"To high priced to be viable is pretty harsh" lol. They do make an awesome rifle! But I think the quote refers to a lot of us not really being able to afford these rifles at this time and economy. That being said, there are people who have the money and will spend it on a GOOD rifle, even during this time . If you have the money to spend, they are pretty hard to beat. They're not as pricey as a "true" custom either.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM

My savage 12 fv in 204 shoots great, a little heavy for carrying or off hand shooting but find a good rest and watch the rock chucks fly and the coyotes buckle.