Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.


Reply

204 varmint rifle?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12
Re: 204 varmint rifle?

a good rifle for p-dog coyotes no you would be spotted a mile away . the performice of the two guns are about the same
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Re: 204 varmint rifle?

Sniperboy: I have 5 (five) Varmint Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger - 2 Remingtons and 3 Rugers - note, NO savages!
savages are clunky, cheap, awkward, ugly, poorly balanced and primitive arms - some of them do indeed shoot well but life is to short to shoot a clunky, cheap, awkward, ugly, un-balanced and primitive Rifle!
PERIOD!
For instance my Remington XR-100 in caliber 204 Ruger is exceptionally accurate, well made, well balanced and not a clunky feature to be found!
The resale value of used Remingtons simply HUMBLES the percentage of cost that a Rifleman can recoup should they decide to "invest" in a savage!
Go with either Remington, Cooper or Ruger.
Don't even consider the savages.
Among the dozens of reasons NOT to buy savage I will include this one - I recently used a HawkEye Borescope on a savage LB/RP single shot extra heavy barrel Varminter - it was a horrific sight!
Now just because a Rifle has a rough bore does not automatically mean it will be in-accurate - but in this case it was indeed also in-accurate!
savage is NOT the be all and end all in factory accuracy!
The last 6 groupings (5 shot groups at 100 yards) I made with my Remington XR-100 in 204 Ruger caliber measured .322", .402", .374", .421", .439" and .326"!
This is consistent and pleasing accuracy using Varmint quality bullets!
I also have a Remington 700 VLS in caliber 204 Ruger - its last 3 groups (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .480", .398" and .330"!
Pass on the savages.
Best of luck with whichever 204 you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta
Posts: 66
Re: 204 varmint rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy View Post
Sniperboy: I have 5 (five) Varmint Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger - 2 Remingtons and 3 Rugers - note, NO savages!
savages are clunky, cheap, awkward, ugly, poorly balanced and primitive arms - some of them do indeed shoot well but life is to short to shoot a clunky, cheap, awkward, ugly, un-balanced and primitive Rifle!
PERIOD!
For instance my Remington XR-100 in caliber 204 Ruger is exceptionally accurate, well made, well balanced and not a clunky feature to be found!
The resale value of used Remingtons simply HUMBLES the percentage of cost that a Rifleman can recoup should they decide to "invest" in a savage!
Go with either Remington, Cooper or Ruger.
Don't even consider the savages.
Among the dozens of reasons NOT to buy savage I will include this one - I recently used a HawkEye Borescope on a savage LB/RP single shot extra heavy barrel Varminter - it was a horrific sight!
Now just because a Rifle has a rough bore does not automatically mean it will be in-accurate - but in this case it was indeed also in-accurate!
savage is NOT the be all and end all in factory accuracy!
The last 6 groupings (5 shot groups at 100 yards) I made with my Remington XR-100 in 204 Ruger caliber measured .322", .402", .374", .421", .439" and .326"!
This is consistent and pleasing accuracy using Varmint quality bullets!
I also have a Remington 700 VLS in caliber 204 Ruger - its last 3 groups (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .480", .398" and .330"!
Pass on the savages.
Best of luck with whichever 204 you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Sorry VG but Savage has come a long way from what you describe them as. They have one of the best factory triggers out there and MOST of them are super accurate shooters right out of the box (not just some of them as you have quoted). I have seen factory savages give a run for the money with guys that have expensive custom rigs at bench rest competitions. I find remington factory triggers horrible. I know lots of Remington "die hards" that have been switching over to the Savages. For the price, it's hard to beat the "out of the box" accuracy of a savage, period.
__________________
Savage Vaporizer
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Re: 204 varmint rifle?

savage vaporizer: You know NOT of what you speak!
The triggers on Remington bolt action Rifles are exceptionally well suited for accuracy.
I should now I am currently shooting 42 of them!
The latest Remington I purchased (November 4th 2,008) is an SPS-V 700 model in caliber 223 Remington - it has an exceptional trigger on it!
I know its an exceptional trigger because I have used it at the bench and tested it for uniformity of let off with my Schrader Trigger Gauge in my gunroom!
This gauge reads in ounces by the way!
It passed my tests with flying colors!
And as far as accuracy I have PLENTY more accuracy examples!
Heres another one for you and the initial inquiring poster.
This NEWEST Remington Model 700 SPS-V was quickly mounted with a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope - the action screws were torqued to the exact inch/pounds setting I prefer on my Remingtons and I headed for the range with a batch of ammo that had been made for another Rifle I have in 223 Remington caliber.
Ahead of a snow squall I was able to get the Rifle on paper, and then sighted in. Then I had time to fire 5 rounds of handloads in this 223 Remington Rifle that measured .372" there at 100 yards! That is the only group this Rifle has shot to date. I will keep you informed.
No, savage Rifles DO NOT have the market cornered on accuracy - in anyway shape or form!
And the description of the RB/LP savage Rifle my gusnmith friend owns is right UP TO DATE!
It was purchased early this spring and came with flaws that neccessitated the barrel be hand lapped with a lead slug and mild abrasive just to get this $900.00+ Rifle to shoot "OK"!
You probably are not aware that I shoot alongside savage Rifles from time to time!
Again savage Rifles DO NOT hold the market on factory Rifle accuracy!
Early this year I bought a Remington XR-100 in caliber 22-250 Remington. This Rifle shot so well right from the git go that I only tried ONE load in it - TOTAL!
It has made groups (5 shots at 100 yards) as small as .283"!
Its last two groups (5 shots at 100 yards - fired on different days by the way) measured .434" (my loading log notes "poor conditions on this days shooting) and .397" on a different day!
This XR-100 has a splendid trigger and is all factory stock except for a slight lessening of the triggers pull weight and the action screws were torqued to MY specifications.
I have a number of shooting companions that own Remington Rifles of various models in caliber 204 Ruger by the way - I have as yet to hear one complain about a lack of accuracy or of displeasure with the triggers!
I have plenty of more examples of accuracy in "my" Remington Rifles, and I mean SPECIFIC examples NOT ambiguous and factually unsubstantiated innuendo's like you bring forth!
Each ambiguous stab at Remington you come up with WILL be met by my first hand and substantiated (recorded!) examples!
And believe me - I have LOTS of them!
I have been shooting Remington bolt action Rifles for 48 years now and have as yet to find one I consider to be in-accurate!
Life is simply to short to shoot ugly, unattractive, clunky, poorly balanced savage Rifles - PERIOD!
Why not buy a handsome, well balanced, solid Rifle like one of Remingtons bolt action offerings to begin with?
Remingtons shoot quite well and have a much higher resale value should the need arise to sell! And by this I mean the purchaser WILL recoup a much higher percentage of their investment when they buy Remington as opposed to savage!
AND, they will recoup that investment MUCH faster selling a used Remington than the notoriously slow reselling savages!
You talk about value and accuracy - heres a real world going on RIGHT NOW example - my $500.00 Remington 700 SPS-V in 223 Remington shoots BETTER than my gunsmith friends $900.00+ savage RB/LP in the same caliber!
Forget the savages!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta
Posts: 66
Re: 204 varmint rifle?

Sorry VG, but I'm not about to get into a pi&&ing match with you. There is a ton of proof out there that Remingtons quality control and their service in dealing with quality control issues are not what they used to be. I've seen it myself, and all you need to do is check the numerous boards on the web and do a search. It's available for all to see.
As for different gun brand names, it's no different then buying a vehicle. Everyone has their preferences. But to say "Savage" shouldn't even be considered, lets just say that there are thousands and thousands of loyal Savage fans that would beg to differ. I shoot numerous brands of guns and enjoy them all, including my remingtons. That's about all I have to say about it.
__________________
Savage Vaporizer
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: corpus christi,tx
Posts: 815
Re: 204 varmint rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gube204 View Post
Sorry VG, but I'm not about to get into a pi&&ing match with you. There is a ton of proof out there that Remingtons quality control and their service in dealing with quality control issues are not what they used to be. I've seen it myself, and all you need to do is check the numerous boards on the web and do a search. It's available for all to see.
As for different gun brand names, it's no different then buying a vehicle. Everyone has their preferences. But to say "Savage" shouldn't even be considered, lets just say that there are thousands and thousands of loyal Savage fans that would beg to differ. I shoot numerous brands of guns and enjoy them all, including my remingtons. That's about all I have to say about it.
I will say that VG has no clue about today's savages. the old savage had a bad rep but that has past years and years ago. for someone to say a savage won't shot. has some kind of beef with them are has had his but handed to him by a new savage. savages are by for one of the best deals out there. i have a big safe full of savage and Remington as for as factory guns i don't have a Remington that will out shoot any of the savages. money for money the savages are the best deal to be had. they stay simple and they just shoot. There is a alot of ???'s to be asked about VG's statement knocking savage rifle's. for one i would love to know how a man has time to shoot 42 RIFLE, i like my factory rem triggers, but there is no way your going to get one down in the ounces it's not going to happen maybe 2.5#-3# if you keep it safe and your lucky and most come from the factory set way up there. most of mine where around 7-8# and if you can't work on it your self get ready to pay someone to get it set lower. I'm not rich either so i don't have 42 of them to go off of. But if i had 42 rifles i can promise you there would be more Jewell's trigger in that group than Remington. cause i have some on my rem rifle right know that replaced the factory trigger. I'm not knocking Remington i like Remington just fine and will buy more of them. but savage is one rifle not to be over looked they shoot great and are a great deal for the$$$$$$$$

And as for as this statement goes.

Quote: (And the description of the RB/LP savage Rifle my gusnmith friend owns is right UP TO DATE!
It was purchased early this spring and came with flaws that neccessitated the barrel be hand lapped with a lead slug and mild abrasive just to get this $900.00+ Rifle to shoot "OK"!)Quote

If i had just bought a rifle for 900.00 that had this kind of stuff wrong i would have been on the phone with the company. and two if i was any kind of gunsmith i would be building my own guns not buying factory rifle for 900.00. For 900.00 are little more a gunsmith could have built a nice custom built rifle and not been waisting time working on a factory gun to get it to shoot. don't make any sense to me. But i don't have 42 rifle with factor Remington trigger either.

so to end this witch ever rifle you may go with will more than likely shoot just fine as long as you do your part. you may want to check these link out. Savage Arms New 2006 Products
http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-12F.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...48/ai_93317493
good luck hope you get a shooter

Last edited by jeff 300; 11-28-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 66
Re: 204 varmint rifle?

Well I recently was in the market for a new 204 also and I purchased a Remington VSSF II and topped it with a Zeiss Conquest scope. I looked a several and just liked the stock and barrel on the Remington. The Savage guns that I looked at just did not feel as comfortable but I sure liked the trigger.

I have adjusted the Remington trigger once and I need to do it again because it is just not a crisp as I would like.

It has taken some time to figure out a load for it but I finally have one figured out and I couldn't be happier with the gun now. Mine does not like the 40 Vmax bullet no matter what powder or seating length, I now us the 39 Sierra and it will shoot better than ever.

This gun is a little on the heavy side as with any heavy barrel gun but I am pleased with my purchase.

Good luck and have fun, the 204 is a blast. I can watch the rabbits and PD's explode with this caliber as there is almost no recoil or barrel jump.

Ryan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 204 varmint rifle?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
22-250 varmint rifle deercannon Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 02-26-2011 11:59 AM
First Varmint Rifle matt_3479 Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 6 04-12-2010 09:03 PM
22/250 varmint rifle? sniperboy Varmint Hunting 31 01-14-2009 07:38 PM
Rem 700 SA Varmint Rifle EddieHarren Guns For Sale 0 02-15-2008 12:59 PM
Varmint Rifle old varmint The Basics, Starting Out 24 11-06-2004 12:01 AM

Current Poll
Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?
YES - 34.08%
733 Votes
NO - 65.92%
1,418 Vote
Total Votes: 2,151
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC