Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .204

I agree. My buddy is finishing up his 260 LRP and needed to do a little shooting and working on LR solutions. I started shooting those balloons and couldn't stop. LOL. The little bullets sure let you know when you have not correctly adjusted for wind. At 500ish a 3 mph wind would change and shift POI 1 MOA/IPHY. That is 5 inches and those balloons are max 7 inches. I still have work to do but I am getting better. The 6.5 makes it way too easy. Wind is not an issue at that range.

What I am learning is that 30 degree plus wind needs to be calculated. Even if the wind is 1 to 2 it needs to be accounted for. On one side of the old road the wind was L to R and on the other side it was R to L. There are draws on both sides and the wind was pushing up the mountain.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Bronze Member

I am trying to get into the 1,000 prairie dog club with a 6.5-284 that I built. Great idea on the balloons, I will need to do that with some wind indicators so I can learn to read the wind better. I get bored at the range and have to deal with all the people, especially when working up loads with a crony. Enjoyed the video. What is a 260 LRP?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, 260 Remington in a Savage 12 LRP. My 6.5 is a 6.5-284 Norma in a savage.

I can not shoot at a range. It drives me crazy. I used to shoot just rocks for practice in the mountians and paper for load work up. My wife hates shooting rocks so I built some steel targets and went to walmart and picked up some 7" in balloons and string. Now it is a game for us and changes the whole tempo of the day. She loves it and that of course makes for a happy day. LOL.

I have not done anything for wind reading other than study the terrain, use my meter, and shoot for experience. Now I try and guess wind direction and speed without the aid of the meter. Mountain shooting is extremely challenging for me but it is where I hunt so I am trying to get better at it. I actually like having some wind around to educate me. No wind days is just too easy if the shooter does his job.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

I am on my third .204 Ruger. I owned a Savage Model 25 but did not like the trigger or the aftermarket Rifle Basix trigger. The magazine was also limiting the seating depth. I was given a Ruger M77 stainless by an exasperated purchaser. It ended up on the rack at Cabelas.

I added a McGowen barrel to a Weatherby Vanguard and that is my current .204 Ruger rifle. It was nitrocarburized and wears a Schuler brake. The JARD trigger it wears is my favorite trigger in my whole rifle collection. I tried the Howa/Vanguard Rifle Basix trigger as well. Anyone want to buy a Rifle Basix trigger for this action?

The most important point I can pass along is that with a Bullseye target camera I can see the groups open up as the barrel fouls. Carbon fouling is a serious issue with small diameter barrels. I use SeaFoam and bronze bushes often. I have worked in the paint industry as a scientist and taught Chemistry so I feel qualified to recommend SeaFoam as a carbon remover. Many years ago when we actually filled out and mailed in order forms, Sinclair sold a product marketed by Mercury outboards that was effective on carbon. GM "Top Engine Cleaner" was also great for barrels but it has been replaced by a less hazardous product. I have tried a number of solvents sold to shooters including KG-1 and Patchout Wipeout Accelerator (smells like D-limolene). I still like to let Patchout Wipeout sit in the bore after I leave the range to remove copper jacket fouling (ammonia and a detergent) but the Accelerator is not as effective as the xylenes in SeaFoam. My bullets are HBN coated (Hexagonal Boron Nitride) so copper fouling seldom amounts to much.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
.204-p1020144.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Is there anything that Seafoam can't do?

t

Old 07-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Seafoam, really! I never thought of that. I guess why not. I bet it is a good carbon remover. Plus it displaces moisture, so .......win, win