Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
Anyone have the pro's and cons of thisd calibre? Not interested in hearring about .223 or .22-250. Just the .204. Also if one has $750 to spend on one which .204 would you get. Thanks in advance.
Hey Military Rifle Guy, the OP wanted info about the 204 and here we are discussing the .224. This arguement is pointless and it is clear you don't like the .204. That is fine. There are many of us who do like it. It will not do everything, it is however, whether you like it or not, a very good varmint HUNTER that does the job within its limitations. In bone stock configuration this small bore offers a great deal of accuracy, excellent over the counter Hornady ammo, and reloading is simple and pretty cheap.

For those of us who actually have the rifle and shot it back to back with others all have a common like for the cartridge. That does not mean that we would take this rifle to punch paper at 1000 yards, it is a varmint hunting rifle with hunting bullets that are being discussed. You have an excellent point about LR target shooting. This is not a LR target rifle.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Bronze Member

I like my 204s for varmint hunting. It is flat shooting, accurate, light recoiling and you can see the hits. This is the important part for me, especially if you do not have a spotter. You can make your own adjustments. Watching the red mist is a great part of it. I have taken prairie dogs out to 600 yards so far. It is pelt friendly on coyotes as well, especially with the 32 grain bullets. The 39 grain Sierra Blitzking bullets seem to shoot better than the 40 grain VMax bullets for many rifles with 1:12 twist barrels. My first 204 was a 12 pound Savage, I got a second lighter carry 204 rifle because I like the 204 so much. It is my carry coyote rifle.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I like my 204s for varmint hunting. It is flat shooting, accurate, light recoiling and you can see the hits. This is the important part for me, especially if you do not have a spotter. You can make your own adjustments. Watching the red mist is a great part of it. I have taken prairie dogs out to 600 yards so far. It is pelt friendly on coyotes as well, especially with the 32 grain bullets. The 39 grain Sierra Blitzking bullets seem to shoot better than the 40 grain VMax bullets for many rifles with 1:12 twist barrels. My first 204 was a 12 pound Savage, I got a second lighter carry 204 rifle because I like the 204 so much. It is my carry coyote rifle.
Interesting. I have not worked up a good load yet with the 39s. I shot 3 of them at .100 off the lands and with same powder as my vmax and they grouped .75. Not horrible for a start. Next load work session I will try different depths to see if they will tighten up. Sierra uses a stepped BC that is interesting. I have a stepped BC with the Vmax now that seems to work well out to 800 yards.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

Didn't mean to anger anyone or get on their nerves. Sorry for getting off topic OP and others. I will agree with Wizard though that they are nice when wanting to watch your hits through the scope.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Bronze Member

Sako 75, I have two Savage 204s and am very happy with the accuracy. I worked up a load for my Savage 12 VLP. I got another lighter Savage with a thumbhole. Both would shoot 3 shots under a dime right out of the box, using the same load. Try H4895 and Sierra 39 gr Sierra Blitzkings. Mine like 26 grains of powder, which is about 1 1/2 grains under max.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Had a good day working up a new load with the 39 gr blitzking. This is my 200 yard zero.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
.204-image.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

This might not look like much but I was happy with the results. When I sent the first round, cold bore it was in the group of 3 on the right. I made no changes and sent some more. From where I was shooting the wind was blocked. I noticed the rounds drifting left and checked the wind. Made the correction and sent the last round, dead center. I videoed it too. Love this little rifle. Stock savage 110 predator.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
.204-204-steel.jpg