Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Techniques For Prairie Dogs, Woodchucks, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: .204

I know it is a popular caliber in southern NJ for groundhogs. I have been thinking about it myself but I am more seriously considering a 243 to buck the spring winds. There are farms where I have to deliver and long shots and wind are more of an issue than I first perceived. But I would think if I am at in long enough a 204 will also be in my tool bag as less bang has its place. So many different farms and shots. Funny but I spend more time this spring scouting with binoculars and a note book than actual shooting. Love the 223 as it's a good start.

As I look for my next rifle the one thing I am always taking into account is twist rate and bullet weights. Make sure you keep this in mind as well.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM

I shoot a re-barreled Rem 700 in 204 with 39 gr Sierras ahead of BLC-2. The original bbl. didn't suit me. If buying another one on a budget I would go with a Savage with an accu-trigger. Tikkas, I'm sure are good but I've never shot one.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

What twist rate did you go with? Also who's barrel? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM

I went 1 in 10 in a Shilen med-heavy varmint bbl. Finished out at 26"
Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

Sounds great! - you can run with a little heavier bullet.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

My current .204 is a Vanguard that has a custom McGowen barrel and JARD trigger. It is out of your price range. I would not build on the Vanguard again.

I have had Ruger 77 stainless. You will never reach the lands, the trigger will need work or replacement, the rings will need lapping and it never grouped near or under an inch. The stock does not have enough comb to allow you to see through a varmint scope. I put on the rack at Cabelas.

I have a Savage Model 25. It is throated so you will never reach the lands and still fit the cartridges into the magazine. The magazine was designed for .223 and really is short of what you would design for a .204 Ruger. It will fit some factory cartridges. I tried it in the showroom. The plywood thumbhole stock is great with a scope. It comes with Weaver bases which allow you to use very solid rings like Warne. The trigger is about 3 pounds at minimum adjustment. I replaced it with a JARD. It is in your price range. The barrel is pinned in place not threaded. The bolt is a modern design of 3 front lugs like the Browning A bolt or SAKO 75 and 85. My bolt face was rough and machining not what you would want. The barrel seems good. I can get about 3/4 inch regularly with R-15 and 40 gr Hornady seated to the magazine length. I have not developed a 32 gr load.

The CZ 527 looks great to me but the safety is backwards, backward to fire forward is on safe. The stocks are too low for varmint scopes. The high rings that come with it need lapping. Aftermarket stocks are few.

I have a custom single shot Model 700 with PTG bolt at Truetec for nitrocarbuizing currently. It is a .20 PPC. More on that soon.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM

I have a Remington 700 sps. It shot 1" to 3/4" groups when I got it. I shelled out a few more bucks and picked up a bell and Carlson stock to replace the plastic one it came with and I'm now getting less than a 1/2" out of it.

I've shot various rounds all 40 grains and under but I never could get any noticeable difference out of it. A lot of people were saying that there guns would like one setup or another but I just wasn't seeing it out of mine so now I just buy whatever's the cheapest.

Although I'd probably go with a different rifle (kind of pissed I had to buy a stock) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

The round has a coolness factor like no other to people who've never heard of it before. It has a loud thump when you connect. After getting use to it I no longer question when I've hit something. You can tell.

I've shot coyotes, rock chucks and a few rabbits with it. It's worked well on all of them. It can make a mess I things though as well. It will just about cut a rabbit or rock chuck in half if the shots less than 100yds. I've also put some surprisingly big entrance holes in a few coyotes I've taken. Guessing from splashing on a bone or something. I've never really bothered to dig around after one of these messes to figure it out. I've had enough small entry holes without exits to know that's more of the norm than the former.