Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Your Fur Rifle and load: Coyote, Fox, and Bobcats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: Your Fur Rifle and load: Coyote, Fox, and Bobcats

I would guess that you have a lot of Marmonts and ground squirrels out in your area to keep your barrels nice and hot.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

I have thought of trying to do some hunting down there for dogs if i was to go down through there forany reason in the winter. Nice that its non resident friendly
Old 08-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

In Nevada you dont need a hunting license to call and shoot coyotes, however you would need a non-resident trapping license if you sold the fir but there is no way they could say where you shot them............skin them out and go home. Some of the rules are really crazy. I can shoot all the coyotes that I want year round but if I put out a trap for coyotes I need to buy a trapping license.

I live real close to California so I buy a non-resident hunting license so I dont have to worry about where the boarder is, however if Im running a trap line out there I have to because trapping is illegal in California.
In Nevada Bobcat season runs from Nov-the end of Feb...................I can shoot all the cats I want but if I sell any I need a trapping license. One of the things I always buy is a Mt. Lion tag, I have called in Mt. Lions while out calling for Bobcats. The great thing about having a lion tag is that you dont have to draw for them and the season starts Marsh 1st and ends Feb 28th, Male or Female. The only thing you have to watch for is that in each zone there is a Mt. Lion quota when that is reached the season is closed in that Zone.
I start calling in Sept and have to turn away some bobcats that come in. However its nice to know they are out there so when the season opens I can go back to the same area. I talked to a biologist and he told me that there are a lot of area's in Nevada that have more bobcats than coyotes, its just that you dont ever see them as you do with coyotes.

G
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

that is awesome, i would love to go to a place like that where you could have great probability to see bob's over dogs. is there a lot of public land around you, i know dumb question cause most of nevada is public. what kind of weather you get in the winter?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

Because we live in a desert we get little snow in the winter, usually the sun is out the next morning. There are some storms that give us a little more but the sunny days melt if off. Nevada is 85% open BLM land and where I will be deer hunting this fall you can drive for 100 miles and never leave BLM land. Lots of Coyotes and Cats in the area I will be Deer Hunting. If you look at a map of Nevada I will be hunting just north of the town of Lovelock, its right off of I-80. One of the great things about Living in the Reno area is that you can be out calling in 45min.................or spend the weekend calling and never see another truck. I hunt out of a 10x12 Wall tent with a wood stove so Im real mobile...........................Its what I love about the area.

G
Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 PM
SPONSOR

Sounds like the life, Greg! Not quite as exotic as yours but I'm in the same zone. I shoot a .204 with a 35 grain Berger at about 3800 fps. Works well on coyotes and 'cats at called distances. I'll be experimenting with a .243AI with a 65 grain V-max this season. If I get lucky enough to call a fox here, I hope I can use the shotgun!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

Tim, ill be interested to hear if that 65 does well, i had the same cartridge pushing 70 nosler bt's going something like 3700or more and it blew s#@t up dogs were ok at 400 or more, but closer big whole