Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Your Fur Rifle and load: Coyote, Fox, and Bobcats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

Your Fur Rifle and load: Coyote, Fox, and Bobcats

For you guys that Hunt for Fur whats your cartridge and load, bullet etc........... hows it working out for you.

I found that the .19 Badger with the 32gr Double Hollow point and 17.8 gr of AA 2200 works great almost on exit holes ....................

Velocity is right at 3600
Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Re: Your Fur Rifle and load: Coyote, Fox, and Bobcats

If i can get them in close like 200 yards or less then i like to use my 222. rem using a 40 grain nosler over a load of benchmark going about 3500 fps. i haven't looked at the powder charge in a while, but i think about 23 grains. goes in and doesn't come out.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

How does that load work on fox or cats.................

My load will take out a Marmont without an exit hole...............

Sometimes you get small cats coming in and most of the time I let them go and consintrate on the older toms. Fox also...............
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

There are not many fox here in the spokane area and i have not been lucky enough to shoot a cat yet. A few times i have side shot the coyotes in the meat no ribs and same effect, small almost no entry size and no exit, never cut one open to see dammage in side but skinning shows the bullet never reached the other side
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Gold Member

You live in a beautiful area. I was in a small town south of you called Colten. Really nice people, lots of Bird Hunting. Drove into a really small town Called Johnsville and spent the night in Wattsville. That whole area was really facinating. To this day I have never eaten apples as good as the ones I had up there nothing has ever come close..............I dumped a coyote while driving through some apple groves on my way to a school that my son attended up there.
I would bet you have some great duck hunting in the area also, what about Chukar?

Greg
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Yeah lots of chukar around the snake river, and duck and goose hunting everywhere. Where are you at
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Gold Member

Right outside of Reno, Nevada...................

Out here its all about IF we had a good chukar hatch OR IF we had a wet winter so what few marshes we have will have water in them, and IF I draw a Deer tag, which I did and an Elk tag.................

If the IF's dont pan out then there are always plenty of Coyotes and Bobcats to make up the difference.

G