Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

You quickest yote?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM
SPONSOR

Re: You quickest yote?

The quickest I've ever had one respond was about two seconds but it was going away from the call! We were calling a big bowl. It was windy and I put the caller out. I thought we could see pretty much anything there so I opened with a howl and the coyotes jumped up 60 yards from the caller and headed out of Dodge! I was able to get it muted and switched to distress. The male turned around and come right back to the caller and my son shot him. Learned a valuable lesson there as well.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-17-2014, 10:48 AM

tt35,

That resembles me and this computer!

Hit a vid and get blown out of my chair!! OUCH!

Best regards

Three 44s
Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstark View Post
My shortest stand was also pretty embarrassing. Set out on a ranch to take care of a problem coyote that was "real bold and aggressive," according to the landowner (apparently it tore up her favorite poodle). Bold and aggressive was right!

I set up with my brother out in some short sage. Had the FoxPro out at about 20 yards. Just barely turned it on at low volume and in less than a minute a big male (I think) busted out of the brush not 10 yards in front of me at ramming speed!
I had my scope turned up to full power and didn't get him in it until after my brother whiffed the first shot. I let a couple rounds go after him as he sped away but did not connect. Dang thing wised up and wouldn't come in to calls anymore so I never did get on that dog again.

Moral of this story- keep your scope turned down or a shotgun handy!
I was never a fan of packing a scattergun with my calling rifle, until I had one come in slightly behind me and noticed it too late, he'd have gone home with me if I'd had a shot gun handy. Bought a used 870 at the pawn shop on the way home from that trip.

Keep em coming guys, we should throw in "your biggest F#*k-up" on a coyote stand too. I like knowing I'm not the only dumb-ass out there!