Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Yote gun on a budget?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Yote gun on a budget?

ya.... ask her how many pairs of shoes she owns and total those bad boys up... LOL

hell white tenny runners go with anything as well as the Danner elkhunters.... Right ??
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Chris,

Yur making this way too complicated. Not need for a Dr. Phil moment w/the lady of the house.

Be sides we all know to watch out for the guy that says he wears the pants in his house. He may lie about other things too.;)

The next time you take the missus to IF to look at camera and 'puters stop by Sportmans Whorehouse and pick up a box of Nosler Accubonds of whatever weight you think is necessary. By they way, tell her yewl only be in there a second.;)

I'd choose 140s and use them for every thing. That way you get experience great experience with one rifle (I was deadly with my only rifle for 30 years). I think that yotes at distance would a satisfying practice for deer and elk.

If you don't hit the spine the pelt damage ain't all that bad. Just keep in in the ribs and not much behind.

I think the bullet is more important than the cartridge on the pelt saving thing.

Other than that, Mach V recommendation of a Savage or Stevens 200 would be good.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

do you have a shotgun or a pistol? If so, use that. Turkey loads = coyote loads. A successful calling sequence and sitting still should call them in as close as you want. If the coyotes are hanging up at several hundred yards you're already busted. the solution is more practice on the call (or maybe a new sound) not a new rifle.... Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

Howdy Fellas,
SM- My lady is super frugal. If she needs anything I have to buy it for her as she won't buy it herself, esp. shoes.

Roy- She actually likes going into Sportsman's Warehouse . I will pick up some 140 gr. somethings for my 7mm. I never said I wore the pants. This is a partnership house for sure.

L_L - I have been working on my calling. I'm new at it. I do have a shotgun. Most of the yotes I've killed have been with head shots from a .22lr inside 75 yds.

We do need a new computer and camera. Our stuff is pretty outdated.The company I do research and development for wants me to start posting trip reports with pictures. She realized that our stuff isn't up to the job before I did. There is a better chance I will make a living from backcountry snowboarding than hunting. She is super supportive of all my fun and games. I snowboard all day, everyday, all winter and spring. I do get free splitboards and gear, but, it doesn't pay the bills, yet.

At 5:30 a.m. she went from this :confused: to this :( to this :mad: pretty quick after seeing me looking at the Stevens website.

So far since June I bought a Gamo air rifle after I broke my ankle downhilling. Then I bought the 7 RM after shooting my buddies .300WM Then she left the air rifle cocked for 2 days, turning it into a Daisy BB Gun so I bought a 925R. .22lr so she wouldn't stop shooting. Then I bought a .410 in hopes she would become interested in hunting with me and the dogs.

My lady is awesome. I'm a lucky guy!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Super cheap and accurate= Stevens 200 in .223 or .204

Still cheap and accurate= Tikka T3 in same calibers.

You will get nasty exits with anything that you hit bone with on coyotes unless you use V-maxes or Blitzkings, then you will get bad surface splashes.

Chupa
I sung the first hymn when the stars were created,and I let Mary know who she was expecting. Then again... I've turned rivers into blood and cities into salt...........So I don't think I have to explain myself to you! Gabriel
Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

I second the savage stevens!! 22-250
Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

Well first things first. Make sure your lady is happy. Like most house holds the women is the voice of reason. But every once and awhile its nice to be unreasonable and just go out and buy that new rifle. HaHa

I purchased a Tikka T3 .243 a month ago. I have been shooting that rifle every other day. I love it. It is really accurate and I could not be happier. Last year I used a Thompson Center in .223 and .243 for coyote hunting. That is also a very nice setup. Its more of a system to buy into and not really very cheep at all for the initial gun. Not really expensive either but around $700 or so which is not chump change.

When you do go looking at guns check out that Tikka. Its a really nice run.