Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Wolf or Coyote???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolf or Coyote???

I want to make it clear that what I stated is just my opinion. I'm no expert on this, but I know the coyotes up in this north country get big enough when they have a decent food source to be mistaken for wolves. If that picture is in the upper part of NY, maybe there is a chance that some wolves or hybrids have moved down from north of the border. It's too bad we can't see a full picture of the animal in question and that he didn't check the tracks for size. The tracks alone would tell you because a wolf track is huge compared to a coyote.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
I want to make it clear that what I stated is just my opinion. I'm no expert on this, but I know the coyotes up in this north country get big enough when they have a decent food source to be mistaken for wolves. If that picture is in the upper part of NY, maybe there is a chance that some wolves or hybrids have moved down from north of the border. It's too bad we can't see a full picture of the animal in question and that he didn't check the tracks for size. The tracks alone would tell you because a wolf track is huge compared to a coyote.
Topgun,
I know its your opinion and I meant no disrespect in answering another forum member, its a very interesting discussion we are having on this wolf or coyote....
I do value your opinion, on this.
I think i will contact Gary and invite him to this site and maybe he can shed a little more light on this. Maybe he has checked the tracks or has a different picture now.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

hunterbob---That never crossed my mind and there is absolutely no need for any type of apology. I get carried away sometimes and I just wanted to make sure that you knew I might be wrong, especially if he lives way up toward Canada.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Yep I am sure of it, that first picture was just a coyote. We are infested with coyotes that look like that! You make damn sure you get all of them killed or you will have wolves soon!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

rooster740---I hope you realize in making those remarks that we are not talking about the picture in the OP with the guy holding up that dead critter!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
rooster740---I hope you realize in making those remarks that we are not talking about the picture in the OP with the guy holding up that dead critter!
No, I'm not talking about that pic, but that is a big varmint for sure.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
hunterbob---That never crossed my mind and there is absolutely no need for any type of apology. I get carried away sometimes and I just wanted to make sure that you knew I might be wrong, especially if he lives way up toward Canada.
The location of this sighting is near Saratoga Springs, NY. This is not far from the Adirondack Mountains, and I had seen some big wolves back in those mountains. That was years ago, when I was young and could climb them.. LOL