Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Where to buy camo for hunting in snow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Where to buy camo for hunting in snow?

best over-whites are TROJAN OVER WHITES by DHK International but they are EXPENSIVE. they are made of waterproof mil-spec ripstop nylon. My cousin got a steal on a pair on ebay about 2 years ago but they are impossible to find cheap. what i did, was take a pair of my regular old $30 polyester cabelas overwhites, bought 5yds of mil-spec ripstop nylon on ebay for like $3/yard and basicly made a guillie suit out of it all with the ripstop nylon all the way around the legs below the knee, over the thighs and crotch, 2 thick on the butt, and over the chest and elbows. I took an old white net that was used to stop golf balls and put that over the head and down to the bottom of the jacket on the back and have a small amount of white material on it as well as some white cotton yarn. the yarn sticks well to grass and weeds so that when it is not completely white out, you can snag a bunch of grass in it so your not TOO white.
I will get some pics up soon, I think ya'll will like.
as for somewhere to buy waterproof white camo, i dont know why more places havent figured it out yet...but they are few and far between if you dont want to make your own.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

I don't understand either why the camo manufacturers feel that we don't hunt in the snow. I also notice that it is difficult to find any camo that features sage or grass. I guess they all think we always hunt in areas with lots of trees. High desert is my favorite territory, yet try to find anything that equates to high desert. Also, they still put out plenty of Woodland Camo....which is useless IMO when compared to just about any of the other camo patterns. And...COTTON for use in the snow? I suppose they think cotton doesn't get soggy when it gets wet. I like your suggestions....thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

EXACTLY! Cotton? Polyester? Really? both snag grass and weeds and get torn up and soggy, sure they aren't as loud as nylon or other materials but there are plenty of hybrid fabrics that are waterproof and wont get torn up when walking through the desert/prairie. I also do most of my hunting in areas that have no viable camo patters available to speak of. Prairie Ghost and Open Country are close but IMO nothing beats a good guillie.
I will make a quote from the ASAT Camo website. "Most camo today is designed to catch the hunter rather than to help catch the quarry"
Woodland Camo? Real Tree? Advantage? Yeah they work great if you want to go out and scout for a place that they will match. Otherwise you just look like a big black blob.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

I agree. It appears to be a giant marketing scheme. Lessee.....camo for sagebrush, a different camo pattern for forest use....a different one for the snow.....a different one for hunting ducks in reeds.....another pattern for grassland areas.....another one for high desert use. And God help you if you fail to buy the Scent-lock material. It never stops. A Ghillie suit serves most purposes without having to be concerned about which type of terrain should be expected to match up with which suit of camo clothing. Ground squirrels could not care less if you shot them in your birthday suit. Same for pigs. Coyotes.....a toss-up. I have shot 'em with and without camo. I just make sure my hands and face are covered with cheap gloves and an even cheaper face mask. I use good game calls without overusing them (especially rabbit calls), use an accurate rifle at relatively close distances (up to 300 yards) and don't get "coyote fever" when the animals approach.

Who sells the best Ghillie suit?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofycat View Post

Who sells the best Ghillie suit?
thats an easy one. the best Ghillie Suits are not sold...they are MADE
you're the only one that knows what area you plan to use it in. you know what the vegetation is like and you know the temps you plan to use it in.

I got a cabelas one for a gift 10 years ago, thougt it was great but in reality, the only place it would have been any good would be sitting up against the dark bark of a hard wood tree.
I bought a "Bushrag" in the desert scheme about 5 years ago and thought THAT was great, but in reality, it snagged on everything, had potential to tear, and didnt look natural.
I completely took it apart last year, saved the net, and about 10% of the synthetic jute that was attached to it. Got out the needle, thread, canvas and some old desert bdu's bought natural vegetation from Tactical Concealment as a base, and went to work. the area i use my suit is wide open west river south dakota prairie. grasses that are tan and brown 9m out of the year. I got Stalkgrass, and Bristle weed from the interweb and started gettin it tied up. used a brown spray paint to darken some of the stalk grass and bristle weed before i tied it on so it wasn't so light colored. did the same with a bright green but that was very sparingly. i covered the suit about 75% with that stuff from Tactical Concealment and use natural vegetation from the area i am hunting tide on by the 10% of synthetic jute that i kept. after all the work is done...go out in the garden, dig a hole, burry it for a couple days and let it chill. pull it out, dust it off, put it in a tote box and your good to go.
(obviously there is a lot more detail to the build, but thats another story all together, and there are many many methods to building one)
Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

King's Outdoor World offers a snow camo pattern that has a sagebrush pattern and is waterproof. It comes in a 2 peice parka and pants combo. It is a great pattern for western snow hunting.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Natural gear has a decent snow camo pattern. I've used this as well s the german surplus stuff from Sportsman guide. I hunt Vt and Nh works here but might not in the open areas of the west