Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Where to buy camo for hunting in snow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

Where to buy camo for hunting in snow?

I have looked in the new Redhead, Cabela and Midway catalogs for either a poncho or two-piece camo gear for hunting coyotes after it snows. I finally found a poncho for less than $15 from Sportsman's Guide. Problem is that it is made of cotton. Ideally, I would like a garment (preferably a poncho) that is made of a material that sheds rain/snow, rather than cotton. Goretex, etc. would be ideal, but I have no idea where else to look. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Where to buy camo for hunting in snow?

I think you found what there is available, i've never seen a goretex snow camo.

I wear a cover up over my goretex ..... works good.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

I picked up some Surplus Military pants and a poncho style jacket, for about $40. I had a hard time justifying spending $200 something on snow camo when I only coyote hunt a few times a year. A friend of mine down in SD has used the cheap $5 white throw away coveralls for painting.

A few ideas to do it cheaply anyways.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

I like the idea of coveralls. Great idea! All I have to do is get on my jacket and pants and go down to the local work clothes store and try on a pair that will fit over my base layer. I can spray paint some patterns on the coveralls to simulate some plant life.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Yeah I agree, it was kind of a "why didn't I think of that" moment when he said that. I'm not sure how large they get to put over your other clothes, and they may rip if you're not careful, but I guess quite a few guys in SD just go to the paint store and buy these specifically for yote hunting.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

I have a few sets of military surplus cover-ups. The Canadian, Norweigan and German are all good. The german type used to be available in a poncho and is recognizable by the black splotches on it. I just wear them over my normal hunting clothes.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

I ordered the German poncho from Sportsman's Guide last week, but it is back-ordered and won't arrive until December. I hunt 350 miles away from where I live north of San Francisco, and may or may not return there until Spring, after the upcoming trip next week. I doubt it will snow at this time, but one never knows. I like to be prepared for any kind of weather. I don't have a 4-wheel drive pickup, so driving on rutted snow-covered dirt roads is dicey (I have gotten stuck before).

Getting back to poncho vs. coveralls, the poncho offers nearly complete head coverage, while coveralls don't...at least the ones I have seen. I will check them out anyway and see if I can find a white face-cover or balaclava.