Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

When NOT to hunt coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: When NOT to hunt coyotes?

The dieing rabbit. The coyotes get real smart real fast. EVERYBODY is hunting coyotes now. So they smarten up fast. Ive found that they do respond to the rabitt call, but they stay far away,300-400 yards, sit down and watch.
So, I watch for the white patch on the chest, usually gives them away, as it is usually brighter than surronding light colored brush. And of course, if the white spot moves a little more than it should if the wind is blowing, then you know.
Ive also found, if you have magpies in the area, they will follow the coyote to wherever he/she is standing/sitting. They will just sit in and on the tree/bush the little dog is under.
Ive never had them come to where I was hiding, they always seem to stay with the coyotes. Doesnt happen all the time, but often.
The best calls are mouth calls, after a fair amount of practice. But hunting/calling alone has its hazards for sure. So Im saving my money for a quality long range remote electronic. 100 yard remote would be great. But they run about $500.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

That's all I have ever used was mouth calls. I am hoping to get an Elec. caller myself one of these days. I'm finding it harder and harder trying to call and spot long distance.coyotes anymore,
I was thinking about a decoy like a wobbling wabbit or what ever it's called. I have.tried feathers and stuffed toy rabbits. But nothing!
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Bronze Member

I have a MOJO, an electric powered fur thing. I stopped using it. It never did a thing for me. The coyotes must now its BS. Now they are comin back in.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

Hum? Maybe I'll have to rethink decoy buying. I had a friend that used a small Snoopy stuffed dog and he said it worked real good.
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Bronze Member

I would guess there are a number of reasons things do and do not work. The coyotes nose, the amouny of scent we leave on things, wind direction, how much we move etc.
What I do know is I killed more coyotes when all I did was walk to a hide, and used my mouth call.
No setting up of anything, other than me sitting down, concealed. Paying attention to wind direction, how much I am moving, and how well i blend in.
And I stopped wasting money on scent masking products. Even if I sprayed myself silly, there was always some area of my body/clothing that let my scent out.
THE ONLY reason I started using electronic calls with a remote, is I hunt alone and several times I attracted a couger, and I was not aware of it.
I was sitting in the middle of a large sage bush I had carved the center out of the day before. I had nothing at my back, to protect me from ambush. Cougers are an ambush predator in the exstreme. Last thing I want to expierience is one of them jumping on me.
I have a friend that is an avid coyote hunter. He lives in a couger populated area. He wears a holloween mask on the back of his head. He feels that sonce lions may not attack you if they think you are looking at them, he is safer than without the mask. I really dont know, but when hunting alone, I can't see the harm in being prepared.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

We have that problem up here but with bear.
In the dead of winter its not a problem. This time of your it can be . A truck mirror works pretty good.
I keep my 45 Colt Blackhawk loaded with heavy hard cast handy just incase
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Bronze Member

Ya man. i usually carry my 4inch 629 smith. i use 240 grain jacketed flat nose bullets. usually hornadys. love that gun. guys ask me why a 4inch instead of a 7 1/4 inch barrel. cause it comes outa the holster quicker.
you never know what will walk up to your hide, everything from a four legged nasty to a 2 legged moron.
im going on a 3 day coyote, mountain lion hunt next weekend. real remote area. i leave a week from today and ill be back the following monday. im going to be ranch sitting, so ill have plenty opportunity to hunt. real pretty area. lots of obsidian, sage, and juniper, with lots and lots of rocky ridges to glass for cats.