Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Anytime you want to come on out let me know maybe we could set up a weeks coyote hunting trip or even a Deer Hunting trip. I have a 12x16 and 10x12 wall tents with wood stoves........................bring your son. While your out here you could do a lot of Chukar Hunting. Not to many guys want to get out in the Nevada Out back............................I have a great Chukar dog named Sam.............anytime just drop me a line at

rimrockhunter@gmail.com
Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

That sounds awesome Gregg! It has all the making of a great trip. Ill try to rally the boys together and see what they think. God Bless.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Here in MT Ive been using 220 swifts for years. Have a new one coming with a 7 twist for 90 gr pills. P dogs, and Coyotes for many years to 600 yds, now alot longer with a APS 338 Allen Mag and a few others also. Been teaching a few young ones along the way, they are mostly grown and still hunting though. Its great to pass on the tradition.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Railroader..........

Sounds great if you decide plan on a trip we can put something together for next fall. This year I have enough time for my deer trip and one week roll over for Elk the first of the year ...............

The only thing about Nevada is that for those who are use to Green, we dont have any Green. Its brown and grey. The only green you might see is some grass around a spring. Not all Nevada is that way but where I have spent most of my time hunting it is. Lots of Rimrocks and huge rock formations surrounded by sage. I hunted with a guy from back east that after three days of hunting wanted to leave as he was depressed................. I think its the vast openness that get to people and not seeing anything human for miles no houses buildings nothing. I have camped out there for a week alone and its funny that after a while you just want to hear another voice.......................its vexting. It one thing being alone where you see another truck or house but days without seeing anything human, its a strange feeling.

G
Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

That would definitely be a different experience for me. I really enjoyed Wyoming but I was close to Casper and we stayed there at night. It would be a new thing altogether. I checked on the cost of antlered deer and it wasn't bad for a nonresident. I don't know what the chances of drawing would be. It would be a lot of fun even if we just coyote hunted. Ill keep all this in mind. Thanks. We will talk more but I'm getti g ready to leave for london, England for a week. Talk at ya later and God bless.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

Railroader

Go to www.huntnevada.com and check out the draw odds for area 041,042 Not to many non-residents put in for this area because of the number of non-resident tags available, which just means that you probably have a 50/50 chance of drawing. Much better than I would as a resident. Also check out area 043,045,046 it just right next door. Most guys like the idea of hunting high country 10,000 ft, quaking aspens and thats great its just that in Nevada thats all horse contry with no vehicle access. The Area I will be hunting in is no higher than 6500' Its all about having a nice pair of binoculars and the willingness to take long shots......................

Check it out....................its a sleeper area for those who can sit and glass for hours and have the patience to wait . One thing I found out is that when you do see a deer 99% of the time glassing in those high sage bowls it will be a nice buck.

Greg
Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Gregg! Ill definitely check out this website.