Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7WRH View Post
If you go back and read my post I said to 300 yards, never said 400.
Nope! I am not going to do that. My last response was not specifically directed toward you.

The majority of the people in this thread have given their opinion. You, KC7WRH, however I am convinced just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

And I learned long ago never to argue with a fool.
Quote:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain
In other words, I choose not to drag myself down to your level.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
Nope! I am not going to do that. My last response was not specifically directed toward you.

The majority of the people in this thread have given their opinion. You, KC7WRH, however I am convinced just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

And I learned long ago never to argue with a fool.

In other words, I choose not to drag myself down to your level.
You confuse argumentation with taking a defending my stance.
If I was arguing then I would be telling you your choice sucks which I have not in fact I said they were fine choices, did I not.
I would not back off off of my choice of calibers and still stand by it that is no arguement but defending what I use.
If you go back and read all the post you may find out who is arguing and who is not.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K22 View Post
That's the same caliber I use. If they require something bigger, then I bring out the big guns..............a 204.
at 300 yards in a 10 mph crosswind a 22-250 drifts about 12 in. so, your .17 drifts 2in. more than a 223. whoopee. i dont know any serious varmint hunter in competition events who will use a .223. i have killed many (about 25 this year) with a 223. guys who kill 200-400/year tell me i'm right. the 223 is marginal FOR COYOTES. they want head shots-more points- and they dont use a trail dog or want to spend the time trailing. i'm not talking about what you can kill one with. 40 odd years ago i would sneak up on coyotes laying in creekbeds in oct in south texas and drill them with a recurve ben pearson hunter. i've killed bobcats, mulies, w tail, elk, and bears with a bow. and hogs. i'm not talking about what is possible. we were talking best. i would love to see you nail a coyote in the head at 400 yds with a 17 but i aint holding my breath. im sure it would be great for deer and elk and hogs-in certain situations. i just dont normally have the luck to be in those situations. i'm sorry i gave my idea of what makes a good coyote gun.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7WRH View Post
I am thinking the jury is still out about your doctorate of dunceology.
Just so you understand I am not talking .17 hmr but a .17 Remington, just a bit of difference there.
If you have never shot or killed with a .17 Rem then I guess you read a lot of gun rags where the writers shoots long range and awesome groups from a key board!
It is either that or you do have a doctorate of dunceology.
Shoot em where they live is what it takes but then again if you can't shoot then stay on the porch.
Have a good day keep studying, one day you will get your PHD!
kinda thin skinned there arent we? if you could read you would see that i never said you or anyone was a dunce. i merely said i wasn't. it sounds to me that you are implying i am not a dr. if that is the case i will be glad to take your bet. since you evidently are feisty i will also bet i have taken more 30 in muleys than you and more with a muzzleloader.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
It time to get the popcorn & a soda and sit back and watch the show.

SpencerSS,

What powder are you using in your AI loads?

Yea, looks like it.

H335. I don't remember the charge weight, and my notes and crap are at home, and I'm in Iraq.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph cockrell View Post
40 odd years ago i would sneak up on coyotes laying in creekbeds in oct in south texas and drill them with a recurve ben pearson hunter. i've killed bobcats, mulies, w tail, elk, and bears with a bow.

Did it look something like this?

And do something like this?

Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerSS View Post
H335. I don't remember the charge weight, and my notes and crap are at home, and I'm in Iraq.
You take care while being in Iraq. We can't wait to give you a big welcome home party when they bring you back home.

God Bless all our troops!