Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
It time to get the popcorn & a soda and sit back and watch the show.

SpencerSS,

What powder are you using in your AI loads?

haha i was going to write that a little bit ago and got busy. this is like watching tyson (lapua guy) and some no name amateur. Wheres my foam finger?

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7WRH View Post
You assume sir.
I never said I was a SEAL, but you assumed I meant that.
I guess you have never heard of SWCC, Then maybe you have.
But I know where I have been and what I have done and what quals I have.
Enough said on that!
By the way I was playing the game long before SWCC's were around. We wrote the book they started on.
No I would never lower a SEAL to my level but they are still NSW brothers!
But unless you were there none of what I say will make a big difference.
Did you serve? If so where. If so Thanks for your service if not well then you will never really understand what we did or have been through.
By the way I will still use my .17 out to 300 on Coyotes, after that I wish I did have a 6AI.

SWCC huh? Not sure if I still believe you. You should still know what building number the drown proofing pool is in. If you were in SWCC, you would have been through that evolution in BCT or even Indoc, and you would have remembered. I will ask an easier quesiton: What does the Mark V use for its MPU?

Either way, being trained to use your CAR-15 or Mk18 and Mk24 in a support role, definitely hasn't given you expertise with shooting yotes at range or understanding BCs and how different projectiles will work in the wind. I really don't care anymore. I have wasted entirely too much effort on this.

Last edited by Lapua guy; 05-16-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapua guy View Post
SWCC huh? Not sure if I still believe you. You should still know what building number the drown proofing pool is in. If you were in SWCC, you would have been through that evolution in BCT or even Indoc, and you would have remembered. I will ask an easier quesiton: What does the Mark V use for its MPU?
Do you know what a PBR Mk2B is or a MATC, Swift boat is or were or how about were the CCB-18 is at?
Ever heard of SBUXI OR SBU 12 AND 13. ever heard of NIOTC or an easy one for any one that has been Northern Hawk?
I was around prior to the MK5 being delivered to Coronado.
I knew about it but that was blue water stuff and seeing How I was Brown Water at that time it was something which did not I would rarely come in witn contact with unless SBU 12 came up to us for a joint exercise.
I was up at SBUXI and a Boat Captain of PBR's and left just as the change from unit to teams in 1994.
I was attached to SBU12 during Desert Shield and Storm, Where were you at?
Sounds to me like you know about the Amphib base, where were you stationed at?
By the way our drown proofing was held in the Sacramento River and the Mare Island pool .
long before there was a SWCC closed loop. We did the ground work for the new SWCC
which were transitioned from Boat Units after '94.
I was in NSW from 1982 till my retirement so it you what no difference to me what you believe
I have a broken back and a loss of hearing that reminds me of what I and my crew did!
Like I said if you served then thanks but never doubt my service, only wish I was young enough and physically able to go back and do it all again, but at least I did. Did You?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

is this a contest of who can come up with the most acronyms? if so I want in.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 05-16-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
is this a contest of who can come up with the most acronyms? if so I want in.
Yeah come on in the waters fine, LOL.
Should have quit responding along time ago but some times I reel out enough line and watch em dance on the end of it.
All calibres that were brought up are good ones and have merit.
The bottom line is, if you like it and can shoot it then shoot it.
There was a time when a .30 cal was to small to kill but then we all have to crawl before we can walk.
At that I am done...I think
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapua guy View Post
I have used a 17 remington, as well as a 17 Fireball. They are great gopher and groundsquirrel guns at distance. They are far from good on coyotes at range. Will they kill, yes, but anything over 400 yards, I will take at least a 243 or 22-250AI at the minimum. Ideally, I will use my 6 Ackley.
At 400 yards my vote would be for a .25-06 or my custom .243. Sure the heck ain't going to be a .17 caliber anything. As more coyotes get trained, the longer the shots are going to be to get them.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 PM

If you go back and read my post I said to 300 yards, never said 400.
The .25-06 is a good choice no doubt it does a fine job.
I liked the ones I have owned over the years.
These days I am leaning towards smaller cases for most of my varmint/ coyote rifles.
If the wind is gusting then I may reach into the safe and get Ole Meat in the Pot out.
It is my 7mm stw. No not fur friendly but sure gets the job done plus it is a fun rifle to play with!
But for where I hunt or shoot coyotes out to 300 and less my .17 get the call, if the wind is kicking up to high then I have other choices.
I feel comfortable shooting the rifles I do as I load for and shoot them enough to shoot em where they live with good results.
I think we have beat this horse to a pulp and he still aint getting up.
I hope this settles the question of what MY choice is.