Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Hi Mike,
I was going to get the barrel machined, so all I would have to do is assemble the parts. Maybe some stock adjustments, bedding the action and some trigger work? I was looking at the 6 x 284, and the 243 AI? My understanding is the 6x284 is a coyote sniper at 1000 yards and beyond? 243 AI I am less sure of, but from what I was told, a little more versatile as far as using it for larger game? I was hoping to visit Texas as well. I’ve read that there is a never ending supply of Coyotes there. Did not know that the public land there was limited though? That is a shame, as is the cost of a White Tail hunt there. I watch lots of hunting shows that are filmed there, but never thought a White Tail would fetch that kind of price tag……Ouch! Maybe those ranch owners would welcome a Coyote hunter though? If the deer are worth the price of gold, they’d probably want to protect them!!
Have a great day,
Mike
Old 12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

They aren't all $10k but there are a lot of high fence ranches that get a premium for their deer. I know a guy that raises and sells "breeder bucks". It's a tough business but if you get the right genetics in your stock you can do ok. Hunts can be had for a decent price in Texas. Just like anything else you have to do some research and find an outfitter that you like.

Coyotes... on any given evening I can step out the back door, howl a few times, and get an answer back. Even when I don't get an answer they are here in less than an hour. I see them all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhunter View Post
Hi Mike,
I was going to get the barrel machined, so all I would have to do is assemble the parts. Maybe some stock adjustments, bedding the action and some trigger work? I was looking at the 6 x 284, and the 243 AI? My understanding is the 6x284 is a coyote sniper at 1000 yards and beyond? 243 AI I am less sure of, but from what I was told, a little more versatile as far as using it for larger game? I was hoping to visit Texas as well. I’ve read that there is a never ending supply of Coyotes there. Did not know that the public land there was limited though? That is a shame, as is the cost of a White Tail hunt there. I watch lots of hunting shows that are filmed there, but never thought a White Tail would fetch that kind of price tag……Ouch! Maybe those ranch owners would welcome a Coyote hunter though? If the deer are worth the price of gold, they’d probably want to protect them!!
Have a great day,
Mike
Old 12-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

To me it's not hunting when you have a ranch worker/guide telling you which deer you can or can't shoot based on the price you paid for a hunt. As far as that goes, do you really condider it hunting when you are sitting in a tower blind where you have three senderos you can see down, and there are a dozen or more bucks coming into them to feed on the corn that was broadcast on there a couple hours earlier? Hmmm. To me that sounds more like trophy killin' than hunting? That's probably a subject for a different thread on here, but I'm just saying. I'd love to see the Tecomate guys go on a do it yoursef hunt out west, or up in the Yukon. They'd probably get lost! Or worse, they'd have to use some scent control for the first time !! Ok, enough of that. Back to Coyotes, and Calibers.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

I don't disagree... I consider it to be harvesting not hunting and since I like to make my own sausage and jerky I do what I have to do. Hell... I watched a buck snarf up all of the corn under the feeder last year and then go lay down with his back to the feeder about 20 yards away. Then less than a minute before the feeder went off he got up, walked over to it, and looked at it until it went off. He and a few does cleaned up the corn and wandered off.

On the other hand... everything in that part of the world wants to poke a hole in you. They have to make the sendero otherwise there would be no clear view. The high stands let you see what's coming in. Feeding on a schedule or feeding in general is probably the biggest "sin" committed but even that is necessary due to the way the animals cover their range and the competition between the ranches. Game trails pass through some pretty mean vegetation... I squated down once and got cactus in my ass because I didn't look first. I've had to recover deer my kids shot when the ground was covered in cactus and mesquite trees ripped at your clothes. Stalking isn't much of an option so the high stands and sendero's are just part of that kind of hunting. So... I think most of us here in TX would welcome the chance at an "out west" hunt but no doubt the first one would be a learning curve.

My best hunting experience was in N. Louisiana. Bow and gun. Lean a "ladder stand" against a tree for bow hunting and either stalk or sit near a game trail when I gun hunted. It's all good though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhunter View Post
To me it's not hunting when you have a ranch worker/guide telling you which deer you can or can't shoot based on the price you paid for a hunt. As far as that goes, do you really condider it hunting when you are sitting in a tower blind where you have three senderos you can see down, and there are a dozen or more bucks coming into them to feed on the corn that was broadcast on there a couple hours earlier? Hmmm. To me that sounds more like trophy killin' than hunting? That's probably a subject for a different thread on here, but I'm just saying. I'd love to see the Tecomate guys go on a do it yoursef hunt out west, or up in the Yukon. They'd probably get lost! Or worse, they'd have to use some scent control for the first time !! Ok, enough of that. Back to Coyotes, and Calibers.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Always wanted to come out there quail hunting too, but like you say, eveything out there either wants to bite you, poke you , or make you bleed!! My shorthair would get tore up out there! She kills snakes here in Michigan too, so she would smell a rattler, and get the worst end of thet deal!!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM

i'm trying to teach my gsp to hunt coyotes over my 222 cal remington .from hanging out on this site there are better cal out there .But this is kinda like the best gun is what you have and my dad gave this gun to me when i was a teen to hunt deer with in bc can . Now i finely have a use for it coyotes and gofers because in ab / can you cannot legaly hunt big game with it . i finly got a coyote a few days ago at 160 paces an exit hole out his shouler the size of a loonie DRT use a 52 gr hp
Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Bert, do not ever sell your .222 short as it was the best bench rest caliber for many years, until the 6mm ppc family of cartridges was developed in the mid seventies. My father owns one also and I always found it to be a good coyote caliber, at least on coyotes back in the seventies. Maybe coyotes have gotten tougher to kill in the last forty years.