Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Re: What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

jd.338, Nice pictures. You must quite the animal trainer to get those rascally coyotes to pose for you in so many different poses. I take my yote pictures with a ruger 77 mark 1 in 6mm rem. with a 75 grain Vmax. Sometimes I use a back up camera that is a stevens in .223 with 55 fmj boat tails. The Vmax is hard on the fur.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

Hi Aj,
I am just getting into the Coyote hunt, and am interested in building a rifle. My problem is there is just way too much information out there? I was reading, and interested in the 6x 284. The guys at my club are all over the map, from a 243AI to a 7mm rem mag, and plenty were 22-250 guys? I am new to reloading, and load for my 223 (Stag AR-15) my 45acp, and shotguns for skeet. I don't know what fire forming is, and all of the BC's and other info is way over my head? I'm not wealthy, but I have time to learn, and money to build a nice rifle. Caliber seems to be the biggest factor? If you had to choose A rifle that you could take to Arizona, Colordo, and or Kansas, to shoot dogs, and varmints (prarie dogs in S.D.) to compliment my AR, what would it be? At, or inside 1000 yards max. Oh, and I do have plenty of time to practice, out to 1000 yards. Thanks for your time.
Mike
Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM

I like the 6mm remington for coyotes. [I was given two rifles in that caliber] It bucks the wind better than the .22 calibers. It will be somewhat a challenge to find a rifle as i do not think anyone is chambering for that cartridge as of now. With the 75 grain Vmax bullet I have a better ballistic coeffecient [B.C.] than the various .22 calibers. this will cause it to shoot flatter than a .223 and I have about 300 to 400 feet per second speed advantage as well. [this also causes a flatter shooting trajectory.] I feel that this is important on running shots as the bullet gets there quicker. [less lead on a running coyote.] I reload these as I can only buy deer hunting type ammo for the 6mm remington at this time. I've shot coyotes with these bullets and they run off and die somewhere and could not find them, even though I hit him and had blood and fur at the shot site. I'm using 41 grains of 4064 IMR powder for about 3350 fps. This combo shoots .438" at 100 yards from a Ruger 77 with a 2x7 leopold vrx -2 scope which is not too bad for a hand me down rifle from the seventies. That being said, a plain old .243 winchester is very close in ballistic performance to the 6mm remington. My buddy shoots a savage edge rifle in .243 and has excellent results with it. He can also get factory ammo loaded with the 58 grain vmax bullet which causes minimal fur damage. The 75 grain bullets I'm shootin' tear up the fur fairly bad if that is a concern. As far as tha .243 a.i. goes, it better yet, but then you get much deeper into the reloading game. Sam thing with the wildcat type stuff like the 6x284, 6mmxc, or 6mm-06, which uses alot of powder for shooting coyotes. I like the 22-250 but, if you already have a .223 why not step up to a bigger caliber with dual purpose capabilties? The 6mm remington and the .243 win. are both known for their dual purpose and double as deer hunting rifles. I do like the 25-06 however, but have never had any experience with it. I love reloading and cool cartridges, but I enjoy hunting the sly old coyote much more.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Ft. Churchill.
I'm still reading all of the articles I can, but trying not to get brain overload!! I have some retired engineer friends at my gun club that are willing to help me out in putting together a rifle. Their only condition is, that I come up with the cal. I want to shoot. Lots of 243 supporters out there. Varmint Al shoots a 243, but I cant remember if it's an AI or not? Thanks again, and I'll keep on reading!!
Good Hunting
Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhunter View Post
Hi Aj,
I am just getting into the Coyote hunt, and am interested in building a rifle. My problem is there is just way too much information out there? I was reading, and interested in the 6x 284. The guys at my club are all over the map, from a 243AI to a 7mm rem mag, and plenty were 22-250 guys? I am new to reloading, and load for my 223 (Stag AR-15) my 45acp, and shotguns for skeet. I don't know what fire forming is, and all of the BC's and other info is way over my head? I'm not wealthy, but I have time to learn, and money to build a nice rifle. Caliber seems to be the biggest factor? If you had to choose A rifle that you could take to Arizona, Colordo, and or Kansas, to shoot dogs, and varmints (prarie dogs in S.D.) to compliment my AR, what would it be? At, or inside 1000 yards max. Oh, and I do have plenty of time to practice, out to 1000 yards. Thanks for your time.
Mike
If I was going to buy an out of the box rifle for "At, or inside 1000 yards max" I would buy my Sendero in 7mm Rem mag again. It's not as accurate as my Canyon Rifle (.338 Edge) but it's pretty good out to 1,000. It might be a bit much for coyotes... I don't know. I haven't tried it on yodel dogs, yet.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Mike,
I was looking more at buying the components, and putting it together? I priced barrels from Douglas, and stocks from Boyeds, McMillan, and some others, and actions from Stevens/Savage, and Remington? Most of the older members at my club prefer Remington actions? Since this is my first venture, I am not sure which to use? I've got plenty of shotguns, and pistols, but only a couple of rifles in my safe, an AR-15, and a TC Encore Muzzle loader. I deer hunt here in MI. with the TC, of my S&W 629 44 mag. Not a lot of places a big bore rifle comes in handy for deer around here, as most shots State wide are less than 100 yds. average? I would like to have a 7mag, or 300 ultra, but as of now, I don't have plans to go out west for any big game? Groups from my club go to Wyoming every year for Mule deer and Antelope, and a bunch to Canada for Caribou. It's dropping $4,000 bucks for a Mulee that I can't stomach! I've got a few nice White Tails on my wall that cost me time and some seed and fertilizer! Anyway, Dog droppin' will be the #1 use for this first gun. Thanks for the input.
Mike
Old 12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganhunter View Post
Thanks Mike,
I was looking more at buying the components, and putting it together? I priced barrels from Douglas, and stocks from Boyeds, McMillan, and some others, and actions from Stevens/Savage, and Remington? Most of the older members at my club prefer Remington actions? Since this is my first venture, I am not sure which to use? I've got plenty of shotguns, and pistols, but only a couple of rifles in my safe, an AR-15, and a TC Encore Muzzle loader. I deer hunt here in MI. with the TC, of my S&W 629 44 mag. Not a lot of places a big bore rifle comes in handy for deer around here, as most shots State wide are less than 100 yds. average? I would like to have a 7mag, or 300 ultra, but as of now, I don't have plans to go out west for any big game? Groups from my club go to Wyoming every year for Mule deer and Antelope, and a bunch to Canada for Caribou. It's dropping $4,000 bucks for a Mulee that I can't stomach! I've got a few nice White Tails on my wall that cost me time and some seed and fertilizer! Anyway, Dog droppin' will be the #1 use for this first gun. Thanks for the input.
Mike
I recommended the 7mm rem mag because of the 1,000 yard range limit in the previous post. It takes bullet velocity and mass to be accurate at 1,000. Especially on something as small as a coyote.

Just curious- are you a machinist? Barreling an action is a fairly exacting task (for a Remington action anyway). I had plans to build my own rifle a few years ago and I found out pretty quickly that there was a lot more to it than building an AR.

We don't have any public land to speak of here in TX. We do however have white-tail that are bred to create antlers made of gold (apparently) and that can live in a high fence cage. Why else would they cost as much as $10k and up to shoot