Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Whats a good gun for coyotes??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 PM

Re: Whats a good gun for coyotes??

Thanks Litehiker. Just been lookin at the Ruger American and now what u said strengthened our opinion thank you!!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

50 bmg never had one run off with this round!!!!!!LOL

A 223,22-250,243 are all great just comes down to distance and if you r wanting the fur. a 17 or 22 hornet would be fur friendly all will get the job done if you do your part.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 AM
Bronze Member

Some of your bears require a bit more umph to put down.

And bears are known to answer game calls and not be wearing their happy face.

That makes predator hunting a wee bit more sticky!!

Note: I am a rancher myself. I like a cartridge/bullet combo that fragments easily to afford our cattle as much safety as possibe.

(I have had to just about "pry" coyotes out of our cattle for a shot).

This does not make a good mix for a bear gun however.

It's a shame that Canada frowns on handguns like they do. My answer in my neck of the sage brush is to pack a medium to lighter rifle for coyotes and a large bore handgun for the just in case happenings.

Best regards

Three 44s
Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

Anything in your hand when you see a coyote is a good coyote rifle. My favorite coyote cartriges:
1st-243 win
2nd-223 rem
3rd-any flat shooting deer rifle.

Rifles:
There are a lot of great factory rifles out there that can shoot better than most people are capable of. For the more skilled marksman you can spent a lot of money for a custom rifle and a lot of time for precision ammo and you will get better accuracy. However for what I consider practical hunting situations that isn't really necessary.

I think that the Savage 11/111 is a lot of rifle for the money and would be towards the top of my list. Another consideration is that sometimes just having an inexpensive beater rifle that stays in the truck may get you more dogs just cause you have it when you need it rather than that beauty of a safe queen that you are afraid to scratch up and just sits at home.

At least that has been my experience. I finally bought my dream varmint rifle last year. Fancy, beautiful, and expensive. When I pick up that $1k+ beauty to go hunting, I consider the bumps, dust, and bruises that will likely happen as I crawl over lava rock and through the sage with her. Then I put it back in the safe and pick up my hammered old 243.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Bronze Member

I would suggest a 243, 7mm-08, 260 or 25-06. They are fine cross over calibers for varmints and deer / black bear. They are not big recoiling rounds. Savage, Ruger American and Tikka rifles are good accurate rifles for the money. Howa is another great gun. I am not sure about Canada but 243 has been a difficult caliber to find right now in the states. I would check your caliber availability as part of the decision process. I work at a major sporting goods store and some calibers are just hard to get right now.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:06 PM

I reckon my "ultimate" fox/'yote/wolf with the occasional deer rifle would be a .257 Roberts. Shoots like a .243W which is a great round for vulps but is limited in bullet weights and for deer I like a heavy for calibre bullet. (Difficult to get anything bigger than 105gr out of .243 whereas you can get 115-120gr out of the Bob).

Bears however are a different kettle of fish.... Never hunted them but I'd like something chunky. Out of what I own I'd take my 9.3x62...

How much rifle do you need for a bear? I'm guessing a bear rifle will drop anything below that without issue.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 PM

About bears!

I used my Weatherby .270 Win. on bear this last fall. And dropped an awesome 500lbs boar at 275 yards with a 150 gr. Core-Lokt!