Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Whats a good gun for coyotes??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Whats a good gun for coyotes??

VX-6, Rick? I put a 2-12X on my .243AI calling rifle. It's the cat's poop! (I mean, I love it.)
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Bronze Member

I have used the 243 for coyotes with 70gr. Nosler ballistic tip and was super impressed. Acouple kills past 600yds. But loaded 90 grainers for whitetails and it just wasnt enough. If i was looking for a gun for both yotes and deer sized animals i would use one of the 6.5s. My fav is 6.5-284 norma you can load light bullets or the 140s for bigger critters. Savage offers a couple diff rifles in in the 6.5-284 norma at a decent price. Easier to find factory ammo for the 260 though. I am now using a 22-250 for yotes shot one today at 400yds. It would have probally died from the first shot but i put a second one in him to end it faster.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

If any one cartridge could run the gammet of coyote to bear it seems that a 30-06 could... if youre willing to reload. the Hodgen reloading page has the trusty 06 bullet weights ranging from the 110gn hdy sp, all the way to a 220gn hdy jrn. If reloading is not something you want to get into, then maybe you should consider two guns. Given the wind conditions you mentioned, the 243 will fill the coyote bill just fine, also rifles and ammo are plentifull and so is reloading supplys in case you decide to go that route later on. As for deer and larger game ( you mentioned bear) the 30-06 would be, in my opion a good choice. Like the 243, lots of bullet choices and weights to choose from. As far as a "budget rifle" look into savage, vanguard s-2, tika, theres a lot of good rifles out there in the 600ish range. Choosing a scope can be daunting what with all the choices out there. Try to choose one by the quality of glass and light transmission than by weather or not you can see a fly on a fence post at a mile. I will say that a mill dot reticle would come in handy in windy conditions. Do youre homework, there is a lot of info out there to help you along the way.......E
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Yep - I'm almost embarrassed to admit I spent that kinda money, but amazed at how well I get along with it. I never crank it down of the 18x mark. It's so clear. I've decided you can't properly check out hand loads with anything less, because you can't see enough of your own movement to eliminate it.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 PM

Thanks guys!!! I am very interested in reloading just not sure on were to begin when it comes to ALL the options!! There daunting!! Keep replying cause your being big helps!!!My current scope is just a plain jane Bushnell Elite!! 3x9 by 40!!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Since you are in Canada your gun prices wont be the same as ours, and you may not even be able to get some of what we can, but you might have choices we dont. We can toss around models and calibers all day
but if they are not avalible in your area then we have only wasted your time. Some good info in some of these posts but it will still be up to you to find out what is around your area. If we new what you could get it would help. So my advice is to look at what you can find that fits your price range, talk to some of the locals and come back here and post up what you find out. We would love to know what you end up with or help you pick out that perfect rifle.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

CARTRIDGE: 6.5 CREEDMOOR OR 280 REM.

RIFLE: WEATHERBY VANGUARD

I just bought a Ruger American 22-250 for $365. from Sportsman's Warehouse just for coyote hunting in Nevada.

Low price but very high in quality of design ans accuracy.

-> 3 lug bolt (only 70 deg. lift)
-> innovative aluminum bedding block
-> hammer forged barrel
-> detachable 4 round rotary magazine
-> great adjustable trigger
-> tang safety & trigger blade safety
-> nice polymer stock & free strap on cheekrest/pouch