Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

What do you do after you shoot 'em?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

What do you do after you shoot 'em?

Hey all,

Just trying to get a general consensus on what people are doing with coyotes after they shoot them, other than snap pictures. The few coyotes I have been lucky enough to bag were basically removed from the farmers field and left for dead. I can't think of too many things you would do after you shoot 'em. Have the hide tanned if it has a really unique pelt or something, like the black coyote recently posted. I don't like to waste things, especially from nature, but can't think of anything else to do with dead yote. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tucker
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you do after you shoot 'em?

We try to shoot most of them when the fur is prime so we can sell furs, we will return later to where we drop the carcases and pickup skulls and bones and then sell them as well some times.
Out of season they stay where they lay and recycled.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Down her in South Texas the hides never really get prime so selling hides is really out of the question. Down here we hunt primarily hunt for predator control. Sadly to say a couple of places that I hunt are looking at a fawn recruitment less than .5 this year. Predators, whether anybody likes it or not need to be kept in check. Deer herds in particular suffer the worst. While the predators are part of the ecosystem an over population of predators can and will decimate other wildlife populations.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Bronze Member

The few that I have shot were in the summer so the pelt wasn't really on my mind. I guess I am glad to see that "recycling" the yotes, as bigngreen said, is an accepted practice. My mother lives in Seguin, TX and every time I go there I see a yote or two, but never have a rifle. If I had a place to hunt down there I would probably be more inclined to bring one. After killing those dogs it sure made me want to go out after them more! They are very exciting to hunt.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Bronze Member

Have never hunted coyote and always wondered the same thing. Would like to try it this year.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

First thing I do is congratulate my self for not missing. Then take a few pics and send them to friends with a message that makes it sound like it was no real big deal because I do it all the time. Then, basically , I consider them free nitrogen for the pasture. Shooting coyotes is another form of wildlife conservation. We all need to do our part. And its a fun job to do.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 PM

If the hide is fairly decent and the hole isn't a huge mess I skin them out, dump borax on the skin and put them on a stretcher till the dry. Then I find a nice spot in the garage to hang or I give them to buddies who might want to hang them in their garage. Ha!!!

It's pretty easy and I feel like at least I got some kind of use out of them. I only do this with a couple per season. I keep thinking about the skull thing but seems like a lot of work and money to do anything with them. I'm going to try and throw one on an ant pile one of these days and come back and check it out after a week. That's more my style than boiling, or digging out brains.