Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

What decoys work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Re: What decoys work

I'm new to this as well. I've been out a few times this winter and haven't had any success. Might try that feather on a stick idea. I like simple and drawing attention away from my position sounds like great advice.

I'm new and patient. And honestly, just enjoy being out in the woods.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 PM

The feather on a stick does sound like a neat trick. I also found this Predator Enticer at deer decoy hunting with moving tail and motion predator decoy by Come-Aliove Decoy Products manufacturing and selling from Wisconsin. I don't know if anyone here has tried one, but I ordered one so I will let everyone know how it works for me. I also emailed them asking if the tail wagger would work in a coyote decoy. They seemed eager to work with me to get a working model. Might be a fun little project.

Spending time in the woods is fun and I do enjoy it a lot, but... nothing is better then calling in a coyote or bobcat or a fox. Makes all the hard work worth while. Besides it is no fun getting skunked everytime you go out.

I have a question for all you callers, who like myself, who are in close quarters. I have heard everyone questioning the volume not being loud enough on the electronic callers, but I find myself with the volume very low. I have had better luck with it like this, but I am new to calling. Is any one else doing this or am I missing oppertunities because of the lack of volume?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Why not do both, Typhoon?

Start out quiet and slowly increase volume in each call sequence until your screaming at em. I do this as a spin-off to calling other critters----like turkeys. I never blast away on a turkey call unless I already know that calling quietly isn't reaching them---like high wind with birds visible.

Maybe the same thing could work with yotes? What do you more experienced guys think?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

When i run my electric i start with the volume low and increase as time on that stand gets longer. I don't want to blast them out of the area if they're in close. As to the moving tail on your decoy you are making/modifying please keep us posted sounds like and awesome idea... Even when using hand calls i start of quiet and then progressively get louder, if they are going to respond in my area it's usually with the first set of soft calls i make. This wk i got a couple mornings out of work and got to observe some yotes at about 500yds, as soon as they hit the tree line i slipped out to some roll bails and started calling they responded almost immediately and they were totally focused on my quiver critter decoy. They came with in about 4yds of it before the shooting started i got two out of the 3 and just felt amazing!!! I really think switching to an ar15 was the only reason i got more than one, and i can deff say that decoys work.