Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

What decoys work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 PM

What decoys work

I am new to preditor calling. I started out using hand calls and I wasn't having much luck. So I switched to an electronic call, but I am still having limited success. I hunt in southern Missouri (Ozark Mountains) so I have a lot of cover to contend with. So I want to try a decoy to help entice them out and was just wondering what has worked for others.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: What decoys work

I can't give ya any great decoy advice, but I wanted to say Hi since I'm also in the Ozarks. I live on the eastern side of them.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

The best decoys are real live dogs.

Especially if they're trained right. The ones that are trained correctly will go out and make themselves visible to the coyotes, and then come back in to the shooter.......bringing coyotes in behind them. Big aggressive dogs are not the ticket, we dont' want them running the coyotes off, we want them bringing the coyotes in.

As far as regular decoys go, something that moves is much better than something stationary.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 AM
Silver Member

I have used the edge rabbit, the foxpro jack, and a feather on a stick.

So far the best one I have used was the feather on a stick. Hang it from the tree or bruch and let the wind play with it. it will also let you know what way your dogs are going to come in. Most of the time they will come in from the down wind side.

the Fox pro Jack works great also but have not had one jsut make a b-line for it yet. I have had them watch it and circle but that is it.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

I have had good success with the Mojo Critter. about$25. I also hunt in tight terrain.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I will have to give some of your suggestions a try.

When you setup to call do you go to your location looking for a specific type of preditor or has everyone found it better to keep the setup more generic?

The reason I ask is this. I was hunting under a full moon and I kept hearing movement in the brush. Despite all of my attempts to get the critter out it just wouldn't budge.

So the next night I go out but this time I brought my full size coyote decoy. Thinking I will give the animal something to look at maybe it will step out so I can see it. Well I start calling and about 30 minutes later I hear something moving through the brush toward the decoy. 30 more minutes still waiting for it to get in the open, no luck. Then I hear it turn around and start going behind the stand. I turn around and put the light on it and kill my first bobcat. That is great, but I almost lost the animal because I was setting up for a coyote and not keeping my setup more generic.

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

If you're looking to not spend much the feather on a string is just the ticket, i used one with some fishing line tied to a wooden dowel rod for several yrs. Just about anything that'll get the focus off you will work. I've never used a coyote decoy in my set-ups but if there's a chance for cats in the area I'd avoid using it. This yr I'm trying out a mojo quiver critter, it's new to me but makes all kinds of movement and drives my german short hair and the girls house cat nuts, hopefully the same will be true of the yotes.