Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Varmint Gernade Splash Wounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Varmint Gernade Splash Wounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpalm View Post
I can't find where now, but I read a post on the varmint gernade stating that no faster than 1/14 or 1/12 twist would be needed for this bullet. Apparently it opens too soon with faster twist.
The only warnings for twist rates that I have seen on Barnes bullets say "Faster twist than". Lead Free bullets are longer than lead bullets of the same weight so you need faster twist rifles to shoot the same weight bullets.

That is why they make a 36 gr 224 Varmint Grenade and a 62 gr 243 Varmint Grenade bullet. Most factory bolt action rifles will not stabilize the longer Lead Free bullets that weigh more.

Right on the box of Barnes 224 cal 50 gr Varmint Grenades it says a 1-10" twist or faster is needed.

The only good thing about Varmint Grenade Bullets is the name "Varmint Grenade".
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 PM

The article I read was specific to this bullet. It had to do with high velocity of the bullet and the fact that the bullet was designed for quick opening. Due to the spin, the bullet started to open prior to hitting the game.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

I tried them years ago, when they first came out in 243. 62grn. I shot several coyotes all with the same results. But, it says what the bullet is ment for, Varmints, not predators. They do work very well on prairie dogs, i will give them that.

I found that the 50grn nosler ballistic tips worked better then the 50grn hornady vmax, the noslers have a better jacket design. I also had good results with 52grn sierra match.

Xdeano
Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the comments fellas. I have tried the 55gn V-max with great results, I really like the 55gn BlitzKing from Sierra. So far the BlitzKings perform the best in my rifle. I have 6lbs of factory seconds here, to load up, as soon as I settle on a final charge. Freakin' wind so far wants to lay down through the week then blow like hell on my days off. As soon as I work up a final load I'll post some results.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

I had poor luck with the VG all the way around. I (I cant believe I am saying this) have had awesome luck with the 53 GR Berger FB target bullets.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I had poor luck with the VG all the way around. I (I cant believe I am saying this) have had awesome luck with the 53 GR Berger FB target bullets.
I tried some 55gn Berger FB target bullets in my rifle. They shot really good, but I was unable to get more locally, so I moved on. Great bullets BTW.

I have these 55gn V-max shooting 3/4MOA or better most groups. SO I'm happy for now. I loaded 500 of them with IMR8208XBR.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

I've had really good luck with 55 gr v-maxes and 64 gr bergers out of my 22-250 on coyotes