Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Unusual Coyote kills?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Unusual Coyote kills?

So one night my wife and I are having dinner with another couple. The other guy in the group proceeds to show me his rifle collection and asks if I will take him coyote hunting while the girls visit. I agree but was not prepared except for a mouth call and some camo floating around the backseat of my truck. He grabs the most accesorized AR-15 I had ever seen, a spot light and we head to the woods. I find us a good spot and hunker down to call. After a while I hear the twang of a barbed wire fence off to my left and then the crunch of leaves not 15 yards in front of me. I jumped up with my mini mag light in one hand and my snub nose air weight 38 special in the other. The coyote I suspected was there was illuminated and immediately hit highgear back to the creek. The second shot from that 1.7" barreled hamerless pocket pistol rolled him at 36 yards. The "hunter" jumped from his seat screaming "what just happened?" " I didn't know you brought a gun!" After seeing the coyote out there and me with mini mag light in one hand and snubby in the other he exclaimed " I didn't know you could shoot like THAT!" I just grinned and collected my trophy like it happened every day!

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

The best gun to have? ... The one in your hand when the fight starts!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Unusual Coyote kills?

So one day a friend and I head into the woods to hog hunt with our bows. We realize after a while the hogs have left the area because all the sign is several days old. We start to come out and I spot a coyote at about a 160 yards. I tell my buddy to stop cause he spotted us and I want to shoot him. My buddy asks " with what?" I then pull out my hog hunting companion. A Colt python 6" nickel 357 mag. My buddy says "you can't hit him from here with that either!"
I ear the hammer back, put the sights across the top of his back and give him his height worth of daylight in extra elevation. Then I just breath on that single action trigger. Booom... and to my own surprise the coyote does a complete back flip! Down for the count.

My point here is coyotes are oppurtunistic and we should be too. You can coyote hunt with what ya have already or build a high dollar specialized rig. Makes them no diffrence

Anyone else have any to share?

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

Respect All - Fear None
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Killed one in Texas at an aluminum plant while I was gettin loaded. Seen a couple hunting rabbits in the lot infont of me maybe 25 yards from my truck. I down loaded a couple yote calls on my phone, went in and got a piece of scrap aluminum 1" round bar that the workers had sharpend to kill rats and slowly made my way to the chain link fence that separated the parking lot and the empty lot the yotes were in...got my phone out n got one close enough to the fence n it was lights out for a nice sized Texas summer yote....forgot I had my bow in the sleeper...
Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjoe1128 View Post
Killed one in Texas at an aluminum plant while I was gettin loaded. Seen a couple hunting rabbits in the lot infont of me maybe 25 yards from my truck. I down loaded a couple yote calls on my phone, went in and got a piece of scrap aluminum 1" round bar that the workers had sharpend to kill rats and slowly made my way to the chain link fence that separated the parking lot and the empty lot the yotes were in...got my phone out n got one close enough to the fence n it was lights out for a nice sized Texas summer yote....forgot I had my bow in the sleeper...

Good story codyjoe. Just like an Indian LOL
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

I can't say I ever speared one. May have to try that!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

I just wanted to kill something...I had hunted all weekend at home the weekend before and didn't get anything...determination and dedication..lol
Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjoe1128 View Post
I just wanted to kill something...I had hunted all weekend at home the weekend before and didn't get anything...determination and dedication..lol
Yup, that's what I'm talkin about. I hunted last week end like that with my bow.
bugs ate me up and ran out of water. Hotter than all get out. LOL got home and cat tripped me up and I almost dropped my bow. I grabbed a broom and tried to kill the cat, but it was too quick. If I could've killed that daggum cat i would have felt better.
At least I would have made a kill.