Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Umpire Farm s near Gerlach Nevada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Umpire Farm s near Gerlach Nevada

I decided to drive to "Umpire Farms " today but first try out a road 5 miles before that called (not kidding)on the map " Bad ass" road. It was a waste of time. So made my first stand on Umpire Farms rd under a heavy snow fall. Three minutes into the stand a big old coyote trotted in from up wind of me 75 yds away. I should'ev barked at him but instead I fired 3 shots and heard the 3rd one hit.I stood up and he was rolling on the ground and howling and I put another one in him. Ran up to him to see big holes these 55gr V-maxes created but he still wasn't dead and still howling looking at me. Dang what a tough creature ! I finished him off with a shot to the head. Pictures to follow.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Re: Umpire Farm s near Gerlach Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
I decided to drive to "Umpire Farms " today but first try out a road 5 miles before that called (not kidding)on the map " Bad ass" road. It was a waste of time. So made my first stand on Umpire Farms rd under a heavy snow fall. Three minutes into the stand a big old coyote trotted in from up wind of me 75 yds away. I should'ev barked at him but instead I fired 3 shots and heard the 3rd one hit.I stood up and he was rolling on the ground and howling and I put another one in him. Ran up to him to see big holes these 55gr V-maxes created but he still wasn't dead and still howling looking at me. Dang what a tough creature ! I finished him off with a shot to the head. Pictures to follow.
bullets: try the Hornady SP XP 50g. I have NEVER had a pass through.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Glad to hear you had some action, IW.

They can be surprisingly tough for sure. Looking forward to the pix. Congrats.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Hope this works
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Umpire Farm s near Gerlach Nevada-img_20121213_102144.jpg  
Old 12-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

That is a bit messier than I would have expected.

Were the big holes from exits or from entrance splashes?

Again, glad you got to shoot one...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Hind quarters were entrance ,and under the jaw was exits bullets traveled the length of his body .