Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

ultimate long range coyote, medium range white tail, long range comp rig finished!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Bronze Member

Re: ultimate long range coyote, medium range white tail, long range comp rig finished

I would suggest trying the 115gr dtac bullets in it which are actually made by Sierra, I know everyone will tell you that they won't work in a 8 twist barrel but they do without any problems as long as the fps remain above 3000 fps, if it drops below that at muzzle velocity they won't have enough rpm to stabalize or remain stable for very long. Another thing to watch for is that if you find a bullet that's got a jacket that's too thin and you push it really hard it will come out of the barrel in pieces so a strong jacket is still needed, on the other end of that same spectrum using those same bullets that you already know work very well in your rifle but seem to be lacking in expansion at extended ranges suggests that you could likely push them a bit harder than what you are, I read an article on another site that claims you can get 3300 fps from a 6xc which has much less boiler room as compared to a 243 much less an ackley improved version, so that again would hit with obviously more velocity and ftlbs causing more expantion. Even at that though we have to remember were still only talking about a bullet that's only .019 thousands bigger in diameter than a 223 remington. There's not going to be a pile of damage done at distances past about 8-900 yards so shot placement becomes seriously critical! Never the less I'll pm you the link I was refering to to see if it helps down range.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 AM
SPONSOR

Re: ultimate long range coyote, medium range white tail, long range comp rig finished

Thanks, Pondskipper. I haven't tried to push them much past this velocity and have primarily loaded for accuracy. There seems to be a sweet spot in the 3100 to 3150 range. The expansion doesn't seem to matter a lot as to range (and therefore velocity) with the 105 Bergers. They are designed for hunting medium sized big game and I realize that fact. So, they are actually acting like they were designed. It just doesn't coincide that great with varmint-sized animals. As to bullet placement, I'm happy to place them anywhere on a football-sized target at 1000 yards!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 03-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

Well, it is certainly a beautiful gun and the cartridge heritage is hard to argue with.

I fully understand the low recoil desire, but I wonder, with that barrel mass, is a brake even noticeable ?

I ask, as a guy with a rebuilt shoulder, not criticizing the goal.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Bronze Member

I won't know till I get a chance to shoot it, called David tubb this past Friday to check on my order and it's supposed to be shipping out by the end of this week, still had to finish modifying the dies. The reason I chose to put a break on is because I'm only 5'10 155 pounds and wanted to know for sure that for each shot I would be able to stay on scope without any problems no matter if it was at 100 or 1000 yards, with the way I have it there shouldn't be any problem in doing just that. Will likely be something close to a heavy barrel .22lr in recoil lol
Old 03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
SPONSOR

Using brakes to call your own shots is legit. I put a Holland brake on a .22-250 for that reason. I'm a wuss but even I can handle a .22-250!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 03-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Bronze Member

The other reason I did it is because it was going to cost the same amount to get the barrel threaded and have a thread protector made for it for a can later (perk of being friends with your smith) so I went ahead and had him make a brake instead of the thread protector.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 PM

Nice looking rifle. Time to get out and develop some loads.