Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Ugly Wyoming coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Ugly Wyoming coyote

First let me say that I didn't have my camera when I shot the ugly beast. Go ahead give me hell...............

Anyway, I shot a coyote that apparently had ana extreme case of mange. Basically no hair at all and his skin was a purple color. At best he had a light "peach fuzz" all over. His tail was completely bare.

He was really not acting right. I tokk the first shot at him at a couple hundred yards and missed. He then actually came back toward me as though nothing had happened. I think he may have been committing suicide.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

Foxes over here get mange and it can be passed to domestic animals. Its not a pretty sight. I saw one once and thought it was one of the small deer we have here, that is until I got closer and saw it had a stick like tail, they look kinda funny without their usual Brush. So I shot it.

We are not keen on handling them either in this part of the world when they got mange. Its a mite I think and I'm pretty sure it kills them if they get it real bad.

You did the right thing.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

I shot this one. I have shot one purple like yours but I didnt take a pic of it
Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

See em occasionally here in Western Montana. Very lathargic. Spooked one once. It ran a few yards, then sat down as if to say, "Now what was I runnin' from?" Have killed probably ten bad ones over the years. Yes, it is a mite (a mange mite). It's my understanding there is at least three kinds. One affects them on the rump and the base of the tail. Another on the shoulders and neck. Both of these are non-fatal. The third kind affects them over their entire bodies and is fatal. They scratch, bite and shake....it drives them carzy. In some cases their digging at their skin casues leisions which may result in Staph infection. If this doesn't get them they may soon die of hypotherima in cold climates. Coyote Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

7mm, is there a pic with your post? i don't see anything.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

No picture, I forgot to pack my camera the day I shot him.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
RMEF Member
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Gold Member

Did he look something like this one....

The grandson and I smelled him before we seen him, and even then I wasn't sure what it was for a minute or so, then I put him out of his misery. The only hair he had was just between his ears and a little on his chest. Really sad thing to see, even if they are varmints.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"