Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Trying to get into coyote hunting. . . sort of lost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Trying to get into coyote hunting. . . sort of lost

Well i went out this past tuesday (no school) and drove around the country looking for what i concluded were spots where coyotes were. the day was about 40 degrees and a light snow/rain at times. the day started out good i found some spots to set up and called for about half and hour then moved on to another spot to call. later on in the day the wind picked up (50+ mph) and the rain/snow picked up more often. Well it was fun but i learned some things that should have been common sense, wear more clothes or pack more, don't let calls freeze up, and scout around for coyotes (still have yet to see or hear anything that they exist). I thought this wouldn't be that hard to get into, turns out it's easy to get into, but having success is tough stuff. I plan to go and try to head out this weekend again.

I have a question though, I always see land that might be good for coyotes, and i see a sigh that says no hunting and such, how do i find or contact that landowner? around here people will have a spot of land and like 20 miles away from it. another thing is is a cultivated field (one that has just had crops harvested good to sit by for hunting or should i steer away from those. the basic layout of the land is crop field, little grove of trees, fence, then another field and the same thing, are those groves of trees good spots to call, and what about public hunting land?

Thanks for the help
benson821(sorry for the long post)
Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Benson,

How's about posting where you hunt? Information sufficient to get it on Google Earth.

Public land ain't a bad place to go. The yotes don't know the difference.

If you get a solid cover of snow take a walkabout and watch for tracks. Walk very very slowly. So slow in fact that you nearly topple over until you get used to it.

Put the scope on low power and be ready. Who knows?

I call this method "walk & stalk" and have shot more close range yotes with this method in semi heavy cover than I ever have calling.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Go out and buy a Randy Anderson "Calling all Coyotes" video he has 5 or 6 out now and yes I have them all now.

The first call I used after watching the video was one of the Primus Ki-Yi calls that he uses I still have it and several others but I now also a Foxpro FX3 electronic call.

This is a link to a site that list his video's I am not promoting it just showing some of his videos and the calls he uses.

Randy Anderson Videos & DVDS & Game Calls
Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Benson,

I'm also in Fargo.

Forget about public land until at least the first of the year. They get walked to death by deer hunters. During this time of the year, you may as well just scout and leave the rifle at home. Otherwise, be prepared to travel far away from any humans.

I like the area around the Sheyenne Grasslands and also I do some hunting around Valley City. There is also some good area around Michigan, ND from my experience. Basically, get away from the city. Northeast SD has some great coyote hunting as well. If want any other advice from a local, just message me.

-Michael
Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 PM

My only advise to a new yote hunter would be to start early in the season. Around here in early september and up till rifle deer season is the absolute best time to call. I think mostly for a couple reasons: 1) There hasn't been a ton of people out kicking around. Most peole think late fall and winter for coyotes, so that is when every one goes. 2) In the early fall/late summer the young ones will be whelped off and out and about. This is about the only time you will encounter dumb coyotes.

Nothing beats just getting out there and doing it. Get as much good advise as you can, but spend most of your time hunting. Good luck
Old 11-16-2010, 07:22 PM
SPONSOR

You've gotten some good advice already. I'll just add a couple more ideas. First, those groves of trees are a great place for the coyotes to lay up in during the days. Think in terms of calling them out of the groves. Second, don't give the coyotes a chance to get down wind of you without you seeing them. Sit on a fence row and put the harvested field or pasture on your down wind side. If you give them a chance to get your wind without you seeing them, you won't have chance. Stay at it. The learning curve is a little steep up front. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM

Also watch and see where there prey is. I live in the woods and farm areas of MN and around my house when the rabbits starting having babies the yotes are all over my place and then when they eat them all or the bunnies move on the yote do not come back around my place until the next year.

Public land are pretty good places to hunt too. my spot I like to hunt has state land on the left and then over a small hill is private land I have permission to hunt on. I have never called a coyote in on the private land but have called in four coyotes on the state land.

"Slow is smoothe and smoothe is fast"!