Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Trying to get into coyote hunting. . . sort of lost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Bronze Member

Trying to get into coyote hunting. . . sort of lost

I am trying to get into coyote hunting and am not sure what to do. I went with my uncle in wyoming but coming back here is like a whole differnt country. out there it's open and people's land is open. here it's lots of crops and land is not very open. i was wondering how to get started. i already bought some calls and have a rifle so i just need area to hunt. so how do i go about finding land and bringing the coyotes in for some lead?? All help is much appreciated

Thank You,
benson821
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Trying to get into coyote hunting. . . sort of lost

Welcome to the club!

I've learned a lot from this and other forums. Read and research all you can. No matter how much you know there's always something else out there.

As far as hunting land goes, a little elbow grease can go a long way. Around here I can go to almost any farmer and ask to hunt coyote on their property and get welcomed with open arms. It always helps to be specific that you want to hunt coyote, not just "hunt". I've always found that it helps to build relationships by helping out too. If I am leaving a hunting stand and see the farmer out working on something I'll stop and give a hand. I grew up on a farm and know my way around most of the tasks at hand, so that helps a little too.

Breaking the ice is the hardest part. Once you get permission to hunt always be courteous, clean up after yourself, and even stop to let the landowner know what you killed. Once you show them your helping alleviate their pests they are likely to pass your name along to friends and that leads to more places to hunt.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
Welcome to the club!

I've learned a lot from this and other forums. Read and research all you can. No matter how much you know there's always something else out there.

As far as hunting land goes, a little elbow grease can go a long way. Around here I can go to almost any farmer and ask to hunt coyote on their property and get welcomed with open arms. It always helps to be specific that you want to hunt coyote, not just "hunt". I've always found that it helps to build relationships by helping out too. If I am leaving a hunting stand and see the farmer out working on something I'll stop and give a hand. I grew up on a farm and know my way around most of the tasks at hand, so that helps a little too.

Breaking the ice is the hardest part. Once you get permission to hunt always be courteous, clean up after yourself, and even stop to let the landowner know what you killed. Once you show them your helping alleviate their pests they are likely to pass your name along to friends and that leads to more places to hunt.

I have done some reading but i now i need to do more. But my only problem is i like in ND and it's all Farm land around here and that doens't seem like a likely place for a coyote to be around, and if it's not farm land it's tall grass or wetland. I just don't know where i am supposed to start looking around here for coyotes.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

The edges between the farm land and fields is what your looking for! Edge areas are coyote areas, look for sign like tracks and poop in trails, any place where two edges meet you double your coyote killing goodness. A good example is a place where one fence row comes into another along the field edge, back your self up to the fence line in tall grass and go after it. Listening to coyotes talk in the area will help get you dialed in, you can get them to howl with a howler or siren, just get a feel for the area and observe it, if you get a light snow go find a coyote track and follow it you'll learn a lot!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Benson,

Just get out there and go at it. After absorbing all of the above mentioned good advice. You'll be training your yotes but you'll be getting some education yourself.

Stealth during approach to your set is imperative. If they start barking/howling as you go in......you're busted! But you will know where they are.

The yotes live there. They know their way around the area. They don't observe boundaries as humans do. A barb wire fence is no barrier to them. A sheep fence is. They will learn the 'holes' in these. (A good place to watch)

They will always take the easiest path between two areas. Most always a trail. They will walk human paths, even very recently made, hoping for a hunk of Snickers bar. Really!

Camo up and cover hands and face. Don't move. If things are as "close" as you mention, a shot gun may be a better rig than a rifle. In the open of WY there is usually more time to get prepared for the shot. In your situation, same as mine in the river bottoms, there's I'd say less than a 2 second window to spot the yote and make the shot. Except when walking/stalking or ambush.

If there are pheasants around listen for the cackle, the one they make when they are being hassled.

Oh, and don't call too loud. I heard what must have been a 300 watt, dolby surround sound system out back one day while doing a walk and stalk. I saw several yotes hi - tailing it out of the area when that thing was lit off. Didn't get a shot at either one. But I shot anyway just to piss the idiot off.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

All of the above is great advice. The biggest help for me was getting DVDs of Randy Anderson and Les Johnson. These guys are very good at what they do. Watch what they do and how they call at differnt times. Randy is very good at talking to the dogs and has some great videos. See if you can hook up with someone around your place to hunt with. Go to the local gun shop or sporting gooods store and talk to the people there. I have found these places to be a great source for info. Where do the locals hang out for coffe in the morning? What gas station do the farmers visit? Do you have a conservation orginization that has a local chapter banquet nearby? These are all GREAT places for contacts and info for places to hunt and people to learn from.Also as roy said just get out there and call.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Go to predatomasters.com and Californiapredatorsclub.com, excellant sites, with a lot of info. The key to coyote hunting is to hunt where there are coyotes, 2nd, you need to be very still. Buy yourself some rabbit in distress hand calls ( closed reed ), and pick a place where you can sit, preferably with a little elevation. Call for 5 sec wahwahwahwah ( just like a baby crying)and slowly scan the area, repeat every 3-5 min. That's it in a nutshell After 15 to 30 min move to the next setup 1 mile away. This what I do, it varies somewhat among hunter. Keep it simple.