Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Trouble calling in yote?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Ever try a Howler? It has been my most success call. I have a Johnny Stewart digital and use the rodent on low at first in case one is close and then go to the howler. Those suckers are extremely territorial (especially in a pack) and come to chase the trespasser away. If you have big packs in the area they may try to come and gang up on a lone guest. I have gotten several doubles and one triple that way.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
That sound like a good tip. I have seen on some short prom's on varmint call guys using those and just thought they were using them for locaters.

BTW-I see your "location". Thanks for your sacrifice for us and our country! I think about you guys constantly!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Bronze Member

A lot of good information has passed your way so far. The hardest for me to learn is to turn off the caller, and to watch my volume. To me, it seems coyotes are much more sensitive to volume than bobcats.

Also, what worked one day may not work the next. If a cottontail doesn't bring them in, switch to a jackrabbit-even if you don't have any around. Red fox calls can bring them in as well.

You can try a fawn distress, especially right after they are dropping. A trick with that I've learned is set up next to a barbed wire fence (there are loads in my area), and shake it around while using the fawn distress. It works better with a partner, with one working the fence/call in a low spot, and a shooter. The caller still needs to check his six, as you sometimes never know where they come in.

Later in the season, a good go-to call for me to use is a few howls, then switch to a hurt pup. Repeat a few times, and mix up the order. Sometimes just the howls work, and sometimes just the hurt pup.

Mix it up, watch your volume, and the wind. You will have luck, but hunting coyotes has a steep learning curve. Good luck!