Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Tricks to hitting dogs on the run

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Tricks to hitting dogs on the run

That seems a handy site with some good info but it misses some points.
The thing with leads is that everyone will be a bit different mainly with swing time and trigger delay. Some people will have a quick releasing trigger that breaks crisp and with a very short delay and others will have a slow creepy trigger with a longer delay. At the point where your brain says shoot and some brains are quicker than others at doing this , it takes varying amounts of time for the shot to actually break in different people / gun combinations . So one person / gun combination may need a foot more or less lead than another . You start with the calculations as a guide and adjust the leads necessary as you practise and see where you are actually hitting the targets with your gun and ammo .
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Thank you so much Grey Fox... that is a great site.

I love facts alot more than opinions.

That gives me a whole new outlook on running targets... and alot of hope and confidence as well.

Now I just have to come up with some practical training ideas. thanks again... that is exactly what I was looking for.

Dan
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post

That gives me a whole new outlook on running targets... and alot of hope and confidence as well.

Now I just have to come up with some practical training ideas. thanks again... that is exactly what I was looking for.

Dan
Glad to help...good luck with your hunt!

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 08-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Bronze Member

Best solution for a dog on the run is call 'em in close and when they break, roll 'em with a 12 gauge, lol!!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM

Hi all , I used to shoot running deer and running boar competition ,the deer was 100 yard and the boar 50 shot the deer with 30/06 and the boar 50 cal flint lock .. the secret is to swing from behind and as you swing past the front of the target touch one off but you must keep swining .. It's almost like pitching a ball you dont stop your arm at the top of the pitch , .. Failing all else talk to a shot gunner maybe go to a clay target range and get some instruction , can't be bad
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post

Dan
That is an interesting view point to say the least.
Because you see a web site you think every thing in it is a certifided " fact " but a private post is just an opinion . That is fine follow the web site it has some good info but it also has some mistakes , and those you will accept also.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

My Goodness Bumper... nobody is arguing the point of swinging through the target, while breaking the trigger cleanly. Everyone knows that if you stop your swing and jerk the trigger ... you'll probably miss badly. What I'm trying to find out is HOW MUCH LEAD do I put on a running target WHILE I'M SWINGING THROUGH. That chart that Greyfox posted is a great help in trying to understand the AMOUNT OF LEAD vs the coyote's speed , along with the bullet's speed. Even if this Guy is off a little bit, it still has some solid information to work with. We all have a choice to believe fact or fiction. Sometimes opinions end up combining them both together, but there must be more truth and facts when mathimatical numbers show up better than just opinions that are without proof.

If you have sound reasonable data or experience for how much to lead running targets... I'm all in.

I appreciate your post.

Do you have anymore information on how to lead targets or tip and tricks for practicing running shots....?