Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Tricks to hitting dogs on the run

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Tricks to hitting dogs on the run

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel brothers View Post
some say ...on the hair...some say ... off the hair.... Hmmm....

are there any tricks for practicing ... if you don't have jackrabbits...?

And where is a program chart that will show bullet leads vs speeding targets...

is there one out there... ?

All the dogs I've shot were standing still.... but have missed a couple running...

and I need to get a handle on this because I have plans for a Dakota coyote

hunt for a few weeks early this fall.

Thanks...Dan
JBM can calculate leads for target speed .
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory
In the Army we had a running boar type range but with man sized targets. Two wires attached to high speed whinch arrangments would pull the target across the range at different speeds . We would move back from it for different ranges.
It helped your swing and follow through and mind picture of lead .
Clay target shooting is a good way to develop some sort of smooth swing and a sense of what lead goes with which angle of target movement but in the end you have to do the practise with the rifle you intend to use.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
some say ...on the hair...some say ... off the hair.... Hmmm....

are there any tricks for practicing ... if you don't have jackrabbits...?

And where is a program chart that will show bullet leads vs speeding targets...

is there one out there... ?

All the dogs I've shot were standing still.... but have missed a couple running...

and I need to get a handle on this because I have plans for a Dakota coyote

hunt for a few weeks early this fall.

Thanks...Dan
Unfortunately there are no silver bullets for this. The biggest mistake is to unconsciously stop the rifle swing when breaking the trigger. Given you have no ability to access moving game for practice, might try going to a standard skeet range, and while it would be out of advised form, use a tight choke and "aim" the shotgun at the targets for stations 2-7. It would at the very least train the hand/eye for moving
targets and follow through and treatment of angling shots. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

I've heard of shooting ballons blowing across open fields on windy days... but haven't tried it....YET.

I might just tie firecrackers to my Wife's Cat's Tails.

It seems like I saw a program somewhere that showed the bullet's wind drift at certain wind speeds...something like that might help some....you think...?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

This is one area of riflemanship that I think has been hurt by our generation's great telescopic sights. We rarely see unmagnified ranges or bullet impacts. The bullet's time of flight and trajectory are easier to develop a "feel" for, which is what we need to score successfully on these types of shots, when using open sights. I personally shoot my rifle by pointing and firing at targets of varying distances while looking above the scope to develop this "feel" for my bullet travel. I haven't gone so far as to mount open sights, but I have used them on some 700 BDLs.

I grew up in Pennsylvania where open sights and shooting at running deer in the woods were the norm (and long range hunting isn't ethical?!). We used to practice by rolling tires down the hill with targets in them. My grandfather, who was an incredible feel shooter, thought that scopes were a disadvantage in typical hunting distances (for PA 0-300 yds), and that their popularity was spurred on by laziness and marketing. The man knew some things well - hope this helps.
Thanks - Josh
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

I just went onto Nikon's Spot On website and put in.... 243, 55 gr HP, 3900 fps, with a 30 mph cross wind.... and the drift chart said it only drifted 10.28 inches at 200 yds. So... if that's all it is... then most shots would be closer to aiming on hair or right near it... and especially with most coyotes running on a angle instead of exactly cross wind.

It sure opened my eyes up.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I just went onto Nikon's Spot On website and put in.... 243, 55 gr HP, 3900 fps, with a 30 mph cross wind.... and the drift chart said it only drifted 10.28 inches at 200 yds. So... if that's all it is... then most shots would be closer to aiming on hair or right near it... and especially with most coyotes running on a angle instead of exactly cross wind.

It sure opened my eyes up.
Lead on a running target is not the same as wind drift .
The lead that you may need is also a function of your swing style , the time it takes you to fire the shot ( brain to trigger time ) , the speed of the bullet and the speed , range and angle of the target .
I can assure you that if a coyote is running at 30 MPH at 90 degrees at say 200 yards you will need a lot more than 10 inch lead . Something like 6 feet will be needed to hit him behind the shoulders . Also wind drift can add or subtract from that lead .
There is no way I would be using a 55 grain bullet for running shots. Use a heavy bullet to try and take wind out of the equation as much as possible.
The rolling of car tires with targets in them is a great idea
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

I ran into this site a couple of years ago.

Leading Running Game with a Rifle

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt