Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Tricks to hitting dogs on the run

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Bronze Member

Tricks to hitting dogs on the run

I am not new to coyote hunting by any means, but I still cannot get the hang of hitting them on the run. I know it is no easy task, but I was just wondering if I could hear some of ur methods you guys/gals use when you are attempting to shoot at a dog on the move. Also, if there is any sort of practice that you do for running dogs, I would love to hear about it. Thanks
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Tricks to hitting dogs on the run

I have shot a lot of coyotes and hitting them on the run is always the problem, along with trying to estimate distance when you dont have time to range them. we always second guess ourselves and try to hold high and lead these dogs. and 95% of the time its a miss. Here is the trick.. DO NOT hold off the hair. you will be surprised how much your hit ratio goes up on these running and "perceived" long distance shots. When I stopped trying to blindly compensate and just held on the hair I couldnt believe how many more I hit.. sure some were in the guts or butt, but it slows them down enough you can get a kill shot in them. The old time coyote hunters will tell you the same thing.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Bronze Member

I'm definitely don't claim to be an expert, but, I've shot quite a few running coyotes, 99.9% that's the only way your going to get a double or triple. First off I would recommend using a bolt gun, because you know you have to make that shot count, unlike with an AR type you won't concentrate on the shot because you know that you have several shots as fast as you can pull the trigger. Second you have to determine the distance and speed and angle of the dog, this just comes with practice. I think one of the most important parts is follow thru, squeezing the trigger while the rifle is still swinging, if you stop you will shoot behind them almost every time. You can tell alot about how fast a coyote is running by watching their bodies, it will tell you alot. I usually don't attempt moving shots if it requires hold over, to much to compute in very short time. I just put the dot where I usually shoot'em and then swing the dot out in front while keeping the horizontal part of the reticle on their body, when I'm comfortable with the placement I squeeze the trigger without stopping the swing. The cross hair with dot helped me with running shots alot. I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the advice. That is exactly my problem. Every time I get the chance to take a running shot I completely lose all concept of reality, it seems, I start leading and holding over, none of which I should do. Is there any thing u guys do to drill ur method into ur head. Does anybody know of a way to practice for this type of scenario??
Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Bronze Member

Just find cooperative coyotes is how I practiced. I f you do call in multiple coyotes be sure and remember the route they came in on and try to shoot the farthest one away first, the the closest one will usually take the same path out that they came in on, that way you will have an idea where you need to have your rifle pointing after the first shot. Like Tikkamike said, hold on hair and swing thru your shot to start and don't over think the situation. Practicing on a moving target would almost have to involve two people and that could get dangerous. Just keep trying and you will get the hang of it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iden View Post
Thanks for all the advice. That is exactly my problem. Every time I get the chance to take a running shot I completely lose all concept of reality, it seems, I start leading and holding over, none of which I should do. Is there any thing u guys do to drill ur method into ur head. Does anybody know of a way to practice for this type of scenario??

It is very hard to convince yourself that you shouldnt lead or hold over so just do your best to pound it through your head, as far as practice...I guess shoot more coyotes!

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike
we always second guess ourselves and try to hold high and lead these dogs. and 95% of the time its a miss. Here is the trick.. DO NOT hold off the hair. you will be surprised how much your hit ratio goes up on these running and "perceived" long distance shots.
Tikkamike,
You have 2 correct thoughts here. Over compensating for distance (holding too high) is one that a lot of shooters make. It's easy to not take confidence in the weapon in your hand and aim too high.

Your correct second thought is to not hold off of the fur, on a running animal. This also has to do with a lack of confidence in the weapon's ability.

I had a coyote at 80ish yards and he just wouldn't commit to the motion decoy. At one point he finally decided against the idea and started trotting off. I whistled, he stopped, I shot and missed...my fault. He kicked the jets on and I led him about 5' and touched off a shot...and another...and another, etc. Then I noticed the dirt/bullet skip well ahead of him. He was really moving on, at a falling away angle, so I put the red dot holo sight on his chest and touched one off (the 9th round). Down he went, end over end, at 170+ yards. I don't lead coyotes with a rifle, any more.

Bowhunter57