Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Too much horsepower for coyote?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Gold Member

Too much horsepower for coyote?

Just curious what y'all might consider too much for coyote hunting, if pelt preservation is one of the goal? Right now I shoot a 7mm SS, but haven't shot anything lighter than the Sierra 140gr SBT. I'm wondering if I could use this round and the 110gr Speer HP TNT effectively or if I need something with less gideup behind it.
2 Corinthians 12:10b

Unread 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Too much horsepower for coyote?

I think Hannibal from The A Team said it: "Overkill is underrated".

I have shot fox, jackals, and coyotes with whatever I had in my hands at the time. You will most likely split them in two with the 7mmSS. I would choose a FMJ bullet or Sierra HPBT MatchKing to minimize expansion. The 140gr's will work just fine with those bullets and do less damage.
Unread 02-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

I was thinking along the same lines, recently. I need to do a search on here and a couple other places for experiences using 120gr. varmint bullets from a 7mm Rem Mag on coyotes. Seemed like a pretty flat-shooting, mild load that would be devastating.
Unread 02-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

I'd go the opposite direction. Plan for an exit and shoot a bullet that won't over expand like a Swift Sirocco. I have shot some coyotes with the 100gr version in my 25-06 and it has done well, exits are small.

Not sure what bullet won't exit a broadside yote from a 7 like that. It will take a lot of critter to absorb that energy with an explosive bullet.
Unread 02-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Sierra also makes a 100gr Varmint bullet...

Im also wondering if something frangible would do the job well?
Unread 02-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

There is really only one way to tell, go blow one in half I've played with some light 110 gr offerings in a 270 WSM and even the 110 TTSX would cut one in half, not to easy on pelts but dang they die in a hurry!!
Unread 02-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
There is really only one way to tell, go blow one in half I've played with some light 110 gr offerings in a 270 WSM and even the 110 TTSX would cut one in half, not to easy on pelts but dang they die in a hurry!!
I hear you man! Down in Texas, I got a few with the 180gr Berger Hybrids and split them in half... I figured a lighter bullet would be less devastating on the little guys up here.