Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Thoughts on eastern coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Thoughts on eastern coyote

Researchers Successfully Create Wolf-Coyote Hybrid | Field & Stream
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: Thoughts on eastern coyote

It's really tuff where I live! I've called in a few and it was a blast but it is hard to do. I know some of the boys down the road really got after'em and killed 14 last winter. I live in the most southern point of Ohio. Sadly, I haven't had an oppurtunity to go this winter. Looks like I might get a chance this week. Going to a buddies in Kentucky where I deer hunt. I've seen good coyote sign there before.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:17 AM

Its a mfer. Lol. I've had a few chances. Got a few. Expect one out of ten to see just a sighting or a sign. Make sure there have been sightings from possibly a farmer. Don't move. I spent 8 hours in a ghellie in a brush pile in 86 degrees summer before last using fawn bleat. Barely moving. Another time hay bail bout an hour with female and beta male howls.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:03 AM
Silver Member

This will tell you all you need to know about wolf/coyote hybridization and USFWS.

Also, folks from Arizona experiencing USFWS and the Mexican wolf stocking really need to read this:

"Red Wolf" restoration scandal
Old 08-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Bronze Member

I have a little experience trapping coyotes back east. Before I headed east I poked fun at a few guys telling me how hard it was to call coyotes in Virginia. I thought ahhh, I'll show em, they don't know what they're doing. Well, I certainly had to eat some crow and was quickly humbled. Not impossible, but not an easy task, and nothing like calling out west. After a few times, I said enough of that. Spoiled I guess. Also, the first coyote I trapped out there and the next five on the same ranch was quite an experience. Had a calf complaint, put out some sets and when I showed up to check, I remember looking across the field at this coyote in my trap. I was with the land owner and I said something like , what the crap is that. It was a whopper. Weighed 49 pounds and all of those five except one weighed well into the mid to upper 40's. The smallest was 39 pounds.

There are certainly some what I would call "normal" coyotes, but there are some very different coyotes out there too. Not to mention it is not uncommon to catch a red or a black. I heard one howl behind the place I was staying one night in the Appalachia. Was the lowest guttural howl I'd ever heard, again I thought, whoa, never heard an old dog coyote sound like that before. I caught that howler a few weeks later. I didn't weigh him, but he was very big. I've been lucky enough to trap and hunt coyotes in six states, all but Virginia have been west of the Missouri River. So...to me, a portion of the coyotes I dealt with in Virginia were a different animal. Coyote/wolf hybrid? I don't know, but I do know there is something very different out there. I don't mean that in a spooky way, just saying its a different coyote.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:20 AM

I've been wanting to try my hand at calling in a few yotes myself.I live in West Virginia and had a really bad deer season last year, according to the land owner I was hunting on, because of the increased population of coyotes. I bought a wounded fawn call on CD but just haven't taken the time it takes to actually get out there and do it.But I did hear what sitkadeer mentioned one late night on the river bank while I was catfishing.To lowest guttural growl I'd ever heard in the woods.Funny just that afternoon I was telling my Mother that there wasn't anything in the woods that would ever run me off.I didn't leave but the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I unsnapped my kbar just in case.It must of left cause I never heard again.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Bronze Member

Gopher rabbit, what part of West Virginia are you? if you don't mind me asking.