Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Summer hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Summer hunting

I live in east Texas with no closed season for coyotes. I have only hunted them from late fall until early spring, but what about the summer? Have anybody of you had luck in the summer or is it a waste of time?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Summer hunting

Lots of cover. Not to interested in food as there is food everwhere. The only thing you have to entise them is territory.

Have fun
deano
Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

I do alot of coyote hunting in the summer. I find good vantage points and glass for them. Where I hunt them this works well. Not sure if they are hunting or just wondering around but they seem to move more in the summer months.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Bronze Member

I hunt coyotes year round and it seems that dogs in my area come in faster and easier during summer months. My guess is that it's a result of less pressure and new pups getting out. Fur is nothing to get excited about in the hotter months though.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Summer can be great coyote hunting/calling! Get a Catahoula Cur for a decoy dog. You can be shooting coyotes screaming at you from 30 feet. I hunt, trap and snare all year long.
KJ
Old 04-10-2013, 12:10 PM
SPONSOR

I hunt coyotes year' round. I do sometimes take July off, but it's not because I can't call them in then. It's because of all the rattle snakes, mosquitos, black flies, gnats, ants, and other little no-see'ums that feast on a guy while trying make a stand. Real hard to hold still with critters crawling all over you and biting. Hate it. On the ocassional cool day when temps drop down into the 50's. If there is no to little wind I will run out there and try to trick a couple into poking their noses out for a looky-see.

Here are a few summer yotes.

First up a double that I killed at around 5300 feet on a cool summer day.

This one I howled in the evening before while trying to locate for the next day. Unfortunately I did not have a gun with me and just had to watch helplessly as the coyote milled around in front of me at 200 yards. Went back in the next day and called her right in. I had my daughter along as I had a pretty good idea this aggressive coyote was going to cooperate. She came charging into a jackrabbit sound the following evening. I wish all plans worked this well.

Got this last one just minutes before a heavy duty thunder storm rolled in. I literally ran back to my pick up. Jumped inside and even before I could start the pick up engine the first rain drops hit the windshield. It quickly turned into a major nasty storm. I couldn't have been more lucky or timed it any better. Man, I'm glad I wasn't running back to the truck when the lightening started up. Running in a lightening storm with an AR strapped to my back is not my idea of a good time!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Hey Big Sky,
Great photos. My daughter lives in Bozeman & I spend alot of time up there. Hope to retire in Montana. Keep up the stories & photos!
Kirk